Thread: Lost my debut !

Default Lost my debut !

Seeing as though I saw the post below thought I might as well do a contrast to it and write about my loss.

Well I had my first muay-thai fight on sunday and I absolutely loved it. It was a c class fight. I was nowhere near as nervous for this as I usually am when I fight mma and was slightly worried as I like to have that bit of nervous energy but hey ho. The fight was local so there was none of the usual hanging about for 8 hours malarky, got weighed in, went home relaxed and went back to the venue to watch the first fight.

I had just recovered from a virus and hadn't trained for a week prior to the fight so was a bit wary of how my fitness was going to be. I made weight easily at 75.4 kilos. My opponent had called the night before and said he couldnt make weight and could only get to 77 on the day, was a bit pissed off but agreed anyway, after all I had put all the effort in to train and diet down ( went from 82k to 75 living on fish, protein shakes, veg and the occasional complex carb at training times ) Soooo I ate everything in sight and I mean everything and still didnt get to 76, any other time I look at junk food and put weight on

With me being predominantly a grappler I wanted to test myself and see how I'd fare in a stand up only fight, as in all my mma fights I think I've landed about 8 punches / kicks lol.

Anyway the fight started and the words from my trainers rang in my head ' Don't go out trying to kill him, take your time in rounds 1,2 and 3 then go for the kill in 4 and 5 ' .... Did I listen ? Did I shite. I am an idiot, I dropped him with a right ( I think ) and thought the fight was over, he recovered and from then I just went in for the kill swinging wild shots looking for the KO. The technique had gone out the window. I wouldn't care but I always tell people not to go out looking for the KO or you won't get it

I knew my fitness wasn't quite there as a kind of mock fight padwork session 2 days before didn't go too well so before the fight I was thinking ' I'll just take my time, hang back and use my teep if he pushes forward, catch my breath when I need to '.....That didn't happen either LOL.

Round 1 over and I was feeling super confident, I wasn't tired and had almost KO'd him in the first few secs, what could possibly go wrong ? I managed to land some heavy leg kicks in the next few rounds and a few decent knees from clinch ( although I seemed to forget about the traditional thai clinch and kept diving in for double underhooks for some reason ) Landed a few big haymakers as well but none connected really well. I wasn't putting combinations together at all and was feeling the effects of going 100% with every punch / kick.

He dropped me with a knee to the body in the 3rd I think, it wasn't particularly hard but caught the solar plexus and winded me, took a while to get my breath back and nearly didnt make the 8 count. By round 4 I had blew my load and was pretty much just thinking about surviving, I looked over at him and he wasn't even breathing hard. I felt like an idiot, every single muscle in my upper body was on fire from the clinching ( was squeezing hard for no reason even though I'd been told to relax in the clinch ). I was so burned out I wanted to give in but I managed to last til the final bell. At one point I remember falling over or being thrown over and as I went down I got caught in the face with a kick, it rocked me and heard ringing for a few secs and was a little disorientated. I recovered before the 8 count and carried on. He had out scored me with bodykicks in the last 2 rounds, kicks that could have easily been caught / checked if I'd have had any gas left in the tank. I remember them hitting my upper arm and forearm and my left arm was getting heavier and heavier with each shot.

The final bell went and I knew he'd stole the fight in the last 2 rounds. I was absolutely gutted, I'd thrown the fight away. I was happy for him though as he's obviously worked very hard and wanted it bad. So yeah I was very disappointed, I'd let my trainers down by not listening. It was a fight I should have won but I learned a HELL of a lot from it and will be much better in my next fight fitness wise and technically. I can't wait to get back in and do it all again, and another thing I learned from it is that I could fight at lightweight in mma very easily, was 75 with a little bit of a muffin top haha ( Been too lazy in the past is all ).

As most people know I have had a very rough year and not been able to compete but I am back now though and look forward to competing a lot more in the future.
    Last edited by Jamie Taylor; 05-05-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Taylor View Post
    Seeing as though I saw the post below thought I might as well do a contrast to it and write about my loss.

Well I had my first muay-thai fight on sunday and I absolutely loved it. It was a c class fight. I was nowhere near as nervous for this as I usually am when I fight mma and was slightly worried as I like to have that bit of nervous energy but hey ho. The fight was local so there was none of the usual hanging about for 8 hours malarky, got weighed in, went home relaxed and went back to the venue to watch the first fight.

I had just recovered from a virus and hadn't trained for a week prior to the fight so was a bit wary of how my fitness was going to be. I made weight easily at 75.4 kilos. My opponent had called the night before and said he couldnt make weight and could only get to 77 on the day, was a bit pissed off but agreed anyway, after all I had put all the effort in to train and diet down ( went from 82k to 75 living on fish, protein shakes, veg and the occasional complex carb at training times ) Soooo I ate everything in sight and I mean everything and still didnt get to 76, any other time I look at junk food and put weight on

With me being predominantly a grappler I wanted to test myself and see how I'd fare in a stand up only fight, as in all my mma fights I think I've landed about 8 punches / kicks lol.

Anyway the fight started and the words from my trainers rang in my head ' Don't go out trying to kill him, take your time in rounds 1,2 and 3 then go for the kill in 4 and 5 ' .... Did I listen ? Did I shite. I am an idiot, I dropped him with a right ( I think ) and thought the fight was over, he recovered and from then I just went in for the kill swinging wild shots looking for the KO. The technique had gone out the window. I wouldn't care but I always tell people not to go out looking for the KO or you won't get it

I knew my fitness wasn't quite there as a kind of mock fight padwork session 2 days before didn't go too well so before the fight I was thinking ' I'll just take my time, hang back and use my teep if he pushes forward, catch my breath when I need to '.....That didn't happen either LOL.

Round 1 over and I was feeling super confident, I wasn't tired and had almost KO'd him in the first few secs, what could possibly go wrong ? I managed to land some heavy leg kicks in the next few rounds and a few decent knees from clinch ( although I seemed to forget about the traditional thai clinch and kept diving in for double underhooks for some reason ) Landed a few big haymakers as well but none connected really well. I wasn't putting combinations together at all and was feeling the effects of going 100% with every punch / kick.

He dropped me with a knee to the body in the 3rd I think, it wasn't particularly hard but caught the solar plexus and winded me, took a while to get my breath back and nearly didnt make the 8 count. By round 4 I had blew my load and was pretty much just thinking about surviving, I looked over at him and he wasn't even breathing hard. I felt like an idiot, every single muscle in my upper body was on fire from the clinching ( was squeezing hard for no reason even though I'd been told to relax in the clinch ). I was so burned out I wanted to give in but I managed to last til the final bell. At one point I remember falling over or being thrown over and as I went down I got caught in the face with a kick, it rocked me and heard ringing for a few secs and was a little disorientated. I recovered before the 8 count and carried on. He had out scored me with bodykicks in the last 2 rounds, kicks that could have easily been caught / checked if I'd have had any gas left in the tank. I remember them hitting my upper arm and forearm and my left arm was getting heavier and heavier with each shot.

The final bell went and I knew he'd stole the fight in the last 2 rounds. I was absolutely gutted, I'd thrown the fight away. I was happy for him though as he's obviously worked very hard and wanted it bad. So yeah I was very disappointed, I'd let my trainers down by not listening. It was a fight I should have won but I learned a HELL of a lot from it and will be much better in my next fight fitness wise and technically. I can't wait to get back in and do it all again, and another thing I learned from it is that I could fight at lightweight in mma very easily, was 75 with a little bit of a muffin top haha ( Been too lazy in the past is all ).

As most people know I have had a very rough year and not been able to compete but I am back now though and look forward to competing a lot more in the future.
    Nice write up dude. From memory or you watched it back?
    Sounds like a good experience that you can build on. Congrats on your loss lol!
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

unlucky, you live and learn!

nothing wrong with going for double underhooks when in the clinch, its what i use all the time and so do most the thai guys at the gym. as long as you aint tripping with the foot take downs are there (just dont go with them like you are use to)

Banned

Gahh! feel bad for you... seeing you come out of mua thai sweating and fucked and then doing some mma lol.

good luck in future! sure you will win next time.

Will, that's all from memory mate. It probably went nothing like how I described haha. You know how it is I'm sure.

Shaun it was very hard not to shoot for a double or inside trip him. At some points I was rolling under shots and ALMOST shooting. Will have to work on that and do more pure thai sparring.

Cheers Paul, that will be happening more often now haha.

Jamie sounds like a hell of a fight, would of loved to have seen it.
    Jamie also forgot to mention that lad he fought had 12 thai fights previous! So he did pretty dam good considering! If it hadn't been for the stupid illness i'm sure there would of been another too sweet victory.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

great read

all the best with future competition
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

Hey I'm sure you'll take the next one! Good write up dude.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

I enjoyed reading that mate, good article.

Hope you get back in for another Kickbox with a different approach lol.
    Rich Austin

You missed out the elephant man foot in the story mate. I think it makes the story.

Seriously though good write up, like i said man. You will smash it next time, consider it just getting tapped in training, learn from it, move on, dont make the mistake again, and grow from it.

More thai, and you will get rid of the urge to double leg people

How is your foot anyway pal?
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies