Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplements

Default Supplements

What would you say are the most beneficial supplements to take as a BJJ practitioner.

I used to take Whey protein but I just stopped one day without giving it much thought.

Lots of people take protein drinks and one of my training partners drinks something called 'wired'.

Do any of you consider any supplements to be considerably beneficial?

Quote Originally Posted by seanbrowne View Post
    Do any of you consider any supplements to be considerably beneficial?
    No not really.

Real food is king. Supplements are merely there to 'supplement' your diet, more often than not because you don't have the time to eat a proper meal.

Given the choice I'd always make the effort to get all my dietary needs from real food. Don't spend your money on such snake oil if you can help it.

I used to take protein shakes after training to aid my recovery but stopped it a while ago and not noticed any real difference.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

fish or flaxseed oil, glucosamine sulphate & a 1 a day multi vitamin, thats what i take.

I slip in some protien shakes every now and then, but dont take the shakes regular, just after a workout to feed the muscles as i dont always get to eat within a couple hours after training

Quote Originally Posted by C_S_R View Post
    fish or flaxseed oil, glucosamine sulphate & a 1 a day multi vitamin, thats what i take.
    Fish or Flaxseed oil is great for getting your Omega 3's but did you know that there's virtually no solid evidence that glucosamine as a supplement actually does anything other than help to empty your wallet?

Here's a good book to read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snake-Oil-Sc...4217814&sr=1-1

Food and water.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    Fish or Flaxseed oil is great for getting your Omega 3's but did you know that there's virtually no solid evidence that glucosamine as a supplement actually does anything other than help to empty your wallet?

glucosamine helps the joints, a protein shake within 30 mins of finishing training will speed up recovery, and tribulus will increase natural testosterone (but i've heard tribulus only works for men over 40)

All research done so far has indicated that Tribulus does not increase testosterone levels all it does is increase your sex drive through a different mechanism. Personally I could do with the opposite!

and you should always have something within 20mins of training, at least some carbs but preferably protein as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Lol, i started taking flaxseed after reading about in bronsons book solitary fitness, havent tried mixing it with cottage cheese yet lol, cant stand the stuff.
    As for the glucosamine sulphate, i take that for my joints as james khan mentioned, from what i understand thats its purpose, as for its effects, i wouldnt say it makes a massive difference but i have notices less stiffness in joints that used nag me alot before, such as my knees & hips/lower back. Wether that 100% due to the suppliment of down to my body adjusting to repetative training & stretching i dont know, but the suppliment is fairly cheap to buy so im cool with it for the moment, i take about 2 or 3 times the stated dose after a heavy session though?

As for protiens ideally i get my intake from red meats, and fish or chicken, but as i said i dont always have a nice lean steak ready after trainning so down a shake to make do.
    My question is there a really good brand, i used to take maximuscle as i get a discout on it as a friend is sponserd by them so i get a good price, but on bodybilding forums they get slated alot for only having the minimum % of ingredients. So i was gonna give another brand a try? Anyone recomend a good brand that has price for quality value?.
    Thanks