Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Free will?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I am not sure why you are directing this at me, I only ever posted about a script in direct response to piratebrido.

I've always thought of destiny as being certain specific event(s) which will happen, rather than one utterly unchangeable course through life.

You could then get into wondering about questions based on questions you haven't answered (could you have limited free will with one destiny in life?) but that's silly... and probably how religions start.
    Apologies, double checked, that was at out pirate friend.

Try and review that post with 'deterministic path through life' rather than destiny. I was trying to create rapport based on the earlier mistake.

Also, for all those interested in the theory that science governs people actions and the role of the sum of the individuals is less the influence of the whole should read Critical Mass by Phillip Ball. He is a respected physic, academic and magazine editor and this book won a science prize award that is pretty prestigious.

Quote Originally Posted by simonmobiledisco View Post
    Also, for all those interested in the theory that science governs people actions and the role of the sum of the individuals is less the influence of the whole should read Critical Mass by Phillip Ball. He is a respected physic, academic and magazine editor and this book won a science prize award that is pretty prestigious.
    On it like white on rice. I already have one of his books in my bookcase.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

Quote Originally Posted by simonmobiledisco View Post
    Try and review that post with 'deterministic path through life' rather than destiny. I was trying to create rapport based on the earlier mistake.
    Yeah man, I get what you are saying now.

I have no real interest in philosophical books (I think that's what Critical Mass is?) but cheers for the recommendation. I tend to only read science or biographies really. I love philosophical questions and discussing them but not interested in reading a book worth on one person's opinion running off into random theories (using the word in it's general sense).
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Richard Ball is a physicist first and foremost. He is one of Britains most respected science writers He using scientific reasoning (mainly physics) and brings together phillosophy, economic, town planning fluid dynamics together as a whole.

It's not trying to be revolutionary, it takes core principles of physics and shows they are inexplicited tied to our world in many manifestations

In fact I couldn't think of a better book for you.

Ironically the first chapter is the most phillosophical and was the hardest to read (for me anyway). Read some reviews and make your own mind up.

All the reviews tend to point toward it being philosophy of science.

To say that free will exists is to accept other factors such as god and spirituality.
    What is the cause of a decision? What determined that decision?

Is has been proven throughout civilisation that what we don't understand we attribute to god / spirituality.
    As time and our understanding of the universe has progressed so has the ability to attribute god to the weather the sky etc.
    However complex, we are all governed by the laws of physics in this universe. To believe that our actions are not part of this universe i.e. “free will” is to believe that reality has some god like quality.
    Are there really an infinite number of reasons for choosing a particular path?

Something to think about anyway.

I don't see why free will has to create a god or spirituality. How can free will be ruled out in a universe we still only barely understand?

I believe in a soft form of determinism - we're all controlled and creatures of habit more than we'd like to admit - especially if you live in modern society. The mind has many layers and it tricks us into thinking we're in absolute control.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I don't see why free will has to create a god or spirituality. How can free will be ruled out in a universe we still only barely understand?
    Professionals almost have sloved the "theory of everything"

So how do you explain the concept of free will?

That the number of possible outcomes to a particular scenario is based on what? "Free Will" we are free to choose, but are we?

Or that there are a number of variables (admittedly large) that allow our cognition to make a judegment? If this is the case then each scenario has been pre-determined as already happened if you like, and there is the possibility that such could be predicted.

Or its spiritual / god like and we make our own judgement based on our sole / heart etc. and there is no prediction and end result.