Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwelcome at new gym....

Default Unwelcome at new gym....

Has any1 had experiences of being made to feel unwelcome at a new gym?..

Is there people/regular fighters out there who are 'suspicious' of new guys when they come and train?... why??..

Has this kind of thing put any1 off from returning to that gym?..

After a recent experience id like to hear what others have to say about this..

Cheers

I am a bit at first, but that's due to having experiences of new guys spazzing out (grabbing fingers/flailing) but most new guys who come to our gym are cool.

I went to a TMA ( I thought it wasn't ) lesson last year and I used a triangle choke which is apparently illegal and highly dangerous, from there it was MAJOR awkward, they made me roll with brown - black belts lol

Was scary :| I wanna learn not get a line of angry TMA's!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Evans View Post
    I went to a TMA ( I thought it wasn't ) lesson last year and I used a triangle choke which is apparently illegal and highly dangerous, from there it was MAJOR awkward, they made me roll with brown - black belts lol

Was scary :| I wanna learn not get a line of angry TMA's!!!!
    Wa that at a Trad Jiujitsu place. Some of those guys have a bit of a chip IMO.

Hi Mate,

This was my biggest worry when i started this lark about 6 weeks ago.
    The fear of not being welcome and kept an outsider. Thankfully Taurus Gym in Plymouth have come out trumps in my opinion.
    Chief Instructor Jimmy Hamilton made me very welcome and so have the other fighters/students.

What was the gym that made you feel unwelcome and what happened?

Perhaps if you put it on here the owners might get to read and change it for other lads and lasses in the future.

Did you find another gym??
    si vis pacem para bellum

No, can't say I have to be honest.

I've trained BJJ in a few London academies and they're all ridiculously friendly.

Not fake friendly just because they want your money either. I mean genuinely friendly.

In my boxing days I trained at a few gyms where a few guys tried stare me down and shit, but even they turned out to be ok once I got to know them.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Wa that at a Trad Jiujitsu place. Some of those guys have a bit of a chip IMO.
    Judo haha!

The owner / main trainers at this gym are actually cool, so suppose got to accept theres ar#es in every walk of life!
    Last edited by alberto; 19-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Evans View Post
    Judo haha!
    A triangle was illegal? That sounds weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate1 View Post
    Hi Mate,

This was my biggest worry when i started this lark about 6 weeks ago.
    The fear of not being welcome and kept an outsider. Thankfully Taurus Gym in Plymouth have come out trumps in my opinion.
    Chief Instructor Jimmy Hamilton made me very welcome and so have the other fighters/students.

What was the gym that made you feel unwelcome and what happened?

Perhaps if you put it on here the owners might get to read and change it for other lads and lasses in the future.

Did you find another gym??
    Good on Taurus Gym,

Dont know many gyms that are cunts ( for want of a more appropriate word)
    "CAGED STEEL WE SALUTE YOU"