Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwelcome at new gym....

A lot of shouting and a big headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    A lot of shouting and a big headache.
    my wife could do a seminar on that
    "CAGED STEEL WE SALUTE YOU"

I would like to think that for the most part my gym is a friendly place, but the lads all know when i give them the nod, to give the target a hard time and scare him off. in fact we make a little competition of it to see who can be the roughest without letting on, you win if you can make the target leave before class is over.

You only become the target if you are on the list:

Mr bad work ethic - everyone else in the entire room is drilling the technique, but this guy thinks that repetition is for other people, he is doing something different every fucking time you look over, which wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt for the fact that whoever is partnered with him suffers too.

Mr Bad sport - shouts stop every time hes about to get submitted, siteing some old recurring injury as the reason, but the ailment is mysteriously absent when he is tapping out the noobs.

Mr Big Mouth - some or all of the doormen who train with the team recognise this guy as boasting to the girls outside a nightclub about his 100-0 cagefighting career, several of these cases are actually overheard using my gyms name to lend credability to their boast. i dont even have to give the guys the nod when these dickheads show up, theres nothing they hate more than someone stealing their glory.

Coward - begs everyone to go light with him as he's nervous, and then trys to mangle the 14 year old kid whos half his weight and is only training with the adults because he too good for all the kids his age.

Cowardly bad sport - as above, but actually gets leg locked by said 14 year old, then trys to save face by telling everyone he 'let the lad have it'.

Sandbagger - lies about previous experience in a combat sport like Judo or kickboxing and expects everyone to believe hes a natural.

the Spy - sent from the local karate/kickboxing club to see how an MMA class is run, because they want to cash in and add a cardio-mma session to thier timetable.

Exotic move guy - most coaches will probably know this guy as the rubber guard guy, he comes in on his first lesson and right in the middle of being shown a basic techniques ask you when he will get to learn (insert exotic move). this guy only gets half a treatment, just enough for him to realise that he needs to focus on basics. (in other words this guy is curable)

I have noticed that a heirachy of sorts has formed at my gym, the best/most consistant fighters at the top, then those who have competed, then guys who have yet to compete but have a good work ethic.

Anyone else is outside the circle, some people have asked me why dont i do something about it, but i prefer to tell those outside the circle what to do to earn the fighters respect.

Competing fighters respect one thing above all else, a good training partner, someone who will help them to sharpen their game. you dont have to try and leapfrog their experience and skill, just work hard and try things on them, there is nothing worse than a guy who won't throw the punch or try the submission because he knows it's going to fail, do it and let him work on his defence.

Once i explain that to them, if they think thats unfair, then they are clearly not cut out for this game, and are certainly of no use to the team.

In short if you find yourself training at a place and you get a bit of a frosty reception, its probably because that gym has had its share of dickheads, and they will just take a bit of time to warm to you, provided of course you aren't on the above list. The key elements to remember are:

1) keep your mouth shut
    2) train hard
    3) when partnered with a competing fighter, try stuff.
    4) watch them warm to you
    5) profit

I remember at carlsons once, and these 2 guys came down, was a friday night, open mat, and they said they had done a little thai I think, but no ground!! I rolled with one of these guys (now beofre I go on, I am not good, or claim to be, but anyway) and he was very aware of what was going on, he was clearly not someone who hadnt grappled before, and pretty much done a number on me..

thankfully, Dave Broughton (god I hope he remembers this) see what was going on and clicked that these guys had come down for a laugh and pretend they have never been in a bjj gym before, and offered to roll, he started to go easy, and see for himself what he was upto, and then proceeded to totaly bitch him and made his little fun trip to try punk everyone an unpleasent one!!

that was an awesome night!! lol

At Pancrase London we were all friendly. But you go hard unnecissarily on someone smaller or less skilled then you because you like it... Well lets just say I seen a few big wannabes get merked by Jess. Only if they deserved it. It was rare, but show some respect or you would know you upset someone far better than you.

I trained at a well known UK gym and had one of the instructors my ribs cracked, quite a few heavily bruised and a shiner so I just about see over my left eye (I deduced he was right handed after this).

I didn't quite understand why he went so hard, especially as I had little experiecne of striking and sparring with strikes. In hind sight and hearing the other stories from one of the students, it was because I was apparently mouthing off and acting like a know-it-all.

My versions would was earlier he was explaining something and when I was drilling it he gave tips and I kept asking questions, because I couldn't understand his rationale. Not being argumentive, I have always been interested in the science of the techniques. Obviously I must have said something to rile him (being newbie to the club probably made this easier). Let me add we were broken off in pairs, so it was me, my partner and the instructor, i was being a dick in front of everyone. This was acceptable in my other club, I wasn't to know different.

I was asked to spar with one of the competitors starting me from the bottom guard and manaed to tied up and not get hit (purely out of luck and desperation). But then I spared with the instructor and got smashed 3,4 or 5 times tapping from strikes.

I think it would have been better for him to take me aside and had a word first if there was difference. I honestly for a week after had no clue, why it happened. I was training as normal. As I'm as nice as person as you could meet and a good club man. Humble as anything. A bit of a piss taker, but to my mates and most of all myself. Even a few slaps to embaress me and say "just listen newbie", i would have found harsh at the time, but would have respected and learn't from.

I look back at this and I don't hold grudges. But I think it's a shame a macho display, put me off training at a very good club that had good teachers. I kind look at it least I have sparred with a top name not that i think i even landed on clean strike. And it's a slightly amusing story.

Every other experience I have had has been great.

be interesting to see white tysons posts on the thread, he was forever moaning that mma gyms are full of cunts or the receptionists were rude to him.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Whenever new members join our gym they get "the talk" from our coach

the talk goes something like this...

(I'm paraphrasing here)

dont be a dick, and you wont get treated like a dick
    put your subs on gently when, let them go when tapped
    its more about technique than power
    its all in the hips

Most people get on fine, there is the odd jumped up bouncer/anabolic freak who come in, try and mistreat people and get smashed by the fighters/coaches

they are few and far between though!
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

i got a lovely reception when i started kickboxing at my local place in west london (combat temple), very friendly, but i just adhered to blackdogmma's sage rules!

but its still intimidating going to a new gym with established regulars

years ago when i first ventured into MMA i went to a "shoot wrestling" club that was ran by a short ginger haired fellow.

In my first lesson we sparred full contact which resulted in me getting slammed into the floor winding me, almost having my jaw broken by an over hand right and finally having my back injured by a crucifix that was slapped on hard resulting in me not being able to walk upright for a week.
    Apparently this was normal at their club and expected newbies like me to endure it.

years later they would come to my wrestling club where i'd get my own back Teehee