Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Possible?

  1. #1

    Default Possible?

    I have been training now for a couple of months and am looking to hopefully have a fight at back end of the year but the problem I'm finding is I play competitive football on a Saturday and Sunday meaning I never really have a rest day. During footy season my week is pretty much:

    Monday - weights (currently doin westside for skinny bastards routine that defranco made)
    Tuesday - weights followed by an hour and a half Thai
    Wednesday - hour half bjj followed by hour half Thai
    Thursday - weights followed by hour half Thai
    Friday - weights followed by hour half bjj
    Saturday - football match
    Sunday - football match

    all training sessions include 15-30 mins off full contact sparring.

    Am I doing too much or is it possible to keep goin as I am? I eat pretty clean and get around 3000 calories in me a day.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member Romeoblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    you need a rest day mate, or your gonna do yourself an injury

    this situation happened to me when I started MMA, I had to give up swimming so I had a rest day

    the question you have to ask yourself is do you wanna be a footballer or a fighter?
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

  3. #3

    Default

    if you are insistant on playing football and fighting then i would suggest dropping a weights day.. monday maybe

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St. Albans, Hertfordshire
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Romeoblood View Post
    the question you have to ask yourself is "do you wanna be a f**king fighter?"
    Corrected ...
    Last edited by BenA; 01-06-2010 at 04:06 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Romeoblood View Post
    you need a rest day mate, or your gonna do yourself an injury

    this situation happened to me when I started MMA, I had to give up swimming so I had a rest day

    the question you have to ask yourself is do you wanna be a footballer or a fighter?
    How many fights you had?

  6. #6

    Default

    Your doing way to many weights there I did that mistake and when my trainer told me to cut down and rest instead I noticed I gave my body time to recover and got bigger and stronger I'd say cutout Friday , do you wanna be a fighter or a body builder lol
    If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle, The mind is like a parachute -- it works best when it is open." - Rickson Gracie

  7. #7
    Senior Member Romeoblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-C View Post
    How many fights you had?
    Still training for my first fight, but fighting is like anything else, it requires dedication

    I'm not saying that fighting should take over your life, but we should make an effort not to do things that get in the way of each other

    taking toratoratora1 for example, it seems that he is working too hard, football is getting in the way of his fighting (or fighting is getting in the way of his football, dpends how you see it?)

    I reckon a rethink of the training plan is required

    monk has good advice, cut down on the wieghts
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

  8. #8

    Default

    As said you doont need that many weight days hell i wouldnt do what your doing weight wise 2 days on 1 day off (while still training) and then 2 days on again then football you wont get any gains like that anyway, you need two heavy lift days i would personally do this

    2x per week.

    Bench
    Squat
    Shoulder press
    bent over rows
    Deadlift

    2 warm up sets at 25 / 50% weight - 3 work sets at 10 rep max.

    2 Times a weak, maybe chuck in some EZ bar curls on one day, you will burn out, will get no gains and possibly hurt yourself.

    Even so doing 2 football days, and that much cardio, is gonna kill pretty much all mass gains.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by featherz View Post
    As said you doont need that many weight days hell i wouldnt do what your doing weight wise 2 days on 1 day off (while still training) and then 2 days on again then football you wont get any gains like that anyway, you need two heavy lift days i would personally do this

    2x per week.

    Bench
    Squat
    Shoulder press
    bent over rows
    Deadlift

    2 warm up sets at 25 / 50% weight - 3 work sets at 10 rep max.

    2 Times a weak, maybe chuck in some EZ bar curls on one day, you will burn out, will get no gains and possibly hurt yourself.

    Even so doing 2 football days, and that much cardio, is gonna kill pretty much all mass gains.
    You really do not want to be doing deadlifts twice a week. You are simply not going to have time to recover if you are doing them properly (note the word properly here).

    You also do not want to be doing deadlifts on the same day as squats as your performance on the first exercise will hamper your performance on the second (if you are doing them properly).

  10. #10

    Default

    Good advice by Craig. Deads and squats on same day is a big no-no. If anything just split those exercises into 2 days ie...

    Day 1. Mon - Deads, press, row.

    Day 2. Thu - Squats, bench, cleans or we..

    You will see far better results in both your strength gains and recovery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.