Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into k1?

Troll hater.

Default Getting into k1?

How does a heavyweight get onto the k1 circuit? Is it a hard slogged process?
    I'm done with chasin trolls

the actual k-1 organisation, or k-1 rules? (which you arnt supposed to call it now, as k-1 have spat their dummy)

The "K-1" circuit per se, comes from an invite scenario. I mean, there are qualifying events which take you into the big Grand Prix's etc, but you need to be invited to those in the first place. So - as K-1 is a big promotion, you should be either somebody of Notoriety, marketable or simply good at what your field is - whether boxing, kickboxing or Muay Thai.
    What I am telling you is second hand info however - but also my primary interest is in "K-1" and stand up promotions so this for me, is a good thread.

Good question Simmy.
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

well, there are loads of k-1 influenced events going on all over the country and europe all the time, look for events labelled oriental rules and such like, even ucmma's uk-1 is k-1 influenced. theres a decent amateur scene with the aka. winning lots of fights in these events is the best path to the actual k-1

Ask Smiler
    MMA Officials London, Essex and East Anglia representative

Troll hater.

TTT..Any input Gary?

Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    How does a heavyweight get onto the k1 circuit? Is it a hard slogged process?
    You need to get your name known on the heavyweight thai and kickboxing circuit in the UK first.
    The big names at the moment in this division are:
    Craig Burke
    Dillian White
    John Love
    Andreas Andrukavicis (spelling??? i know hes from Storm gym in Luton)
    Chris Knowless
    Alex Foreman

There is no point thinking about the international K-1 circuit until you can beat the above names.

Other names worth thinking of if you want to get up there are:
    Michael Mann
    Jimmy Kram.

When you have made your mark on the thai/kickboxing scene then Paul Henessey who is the UK's K-1 rep will manage you and send you abroad to fight.
    Looking for K-1 Kickboxers ALL Levels 26th Feb

Troll hater.

That is excellent info kickboxingidiot1...Thanx very much..

Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    That is excellent info kickboxingidiot1...Thanx very much..
    Always welcome
    Looking for K-1 Kickboxers ALL Levels 26th Feb

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi Simmy!

To get on the K1 circuit you need two things – proven ability and marketability. With one you may get a shot, but without both you’ll be asked back.

A good fight record is important.

After this you need to know the right promoters to get on the official K1 circuit, and that’s the hard part.

And the even harder part is to get K1 Japan to like you, as if you don’t, you won’t get the opportunities.

I know this from first hand experience of doing not too badly on the official K1 tournament circuit and K1 Grand Prix tournament circuit. I didn’t quite break the tournaments however, best was runner up in K1 Scandanvia.

We pushed to get recognised by Japan, and they said I hadn’t beaten the right opponents. So we asked for access to fight them, and it was provided. So I beat Carter Williams (K1 USA Champ), Gregory Tony (K1 France Champ), and in the year that Azem Maksutaj was seen as a bright light of K1 I beat him.

I had a couple of further hiccups too – I was paid off not to fight Jerome Lebanner after a contract was made. I also was due to fight Ignashov but the show collapsed. Gutted on both counts!

So after beating these people K1 then said I was ‘too old’, and that was that!

So it’s not an easy path by any means, and also a complete political nightmare…

Start beating people on the biggest shows you can, and get yourself marketable, and make contacts, and network, and promote yourself like mad…and you just might make the circuit!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Smiler
    http://garysmilerturner.blogspot.com/