Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting into k1?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Hi Simmy!

To get on the K1 circuit you need two things – proven ability and marketability. With one you may get a shot, but without both you’ll be asked back.

A good fight record is important.

After this you need to know the right promoters to get on the official K1 circuit, and that’s the hard part.

And the even harder part is to get K1 Japan to like you, as if you don’t, you won’t get the opportunities.

I know this from first hand experience of doing not too badly on the official K1 tournament circuit and K1 Grand Prix tournament circuit. I didn’t quite break the tournaments however, best was runner up in K1 Scandanvia.

We pushed to get recognised by Japan, and they said I hadn’t beaten the right opponents. So we asked for access to fight them, and it was provided. So I beat Carter Williams (K1 USA Champ), Gregory Tony (K1 France Champ), and in the year that Azem Maksutaj was seen as a bright light of K1 I beat him.

I had a couple of further hiccups too – I was paid off not to fight Jerome Lebanner after a contract was made. I also was due to fight Ignashov but the show collapsed. Gutted on both counts!

So after beating these people K1 then said I was ‘too old’, and that was that!

So it’s not an easy path by any means, and also a complete political nightmare…

Start beating people on the biggest shows you can, and get yourself marketable, and make contacts, and network, and promote yourself like mad…and you just might make the circuit!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Smiler
    http://garysmilerturner.blogspot.com/
    You were paid off not to fight Lebanner??? That sucks majorly!!!
    Looking for K-1 Kickboxers ALL Levels 26th Feb

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Yeah, I was due to fight him four weeks before his massive grudge match against Cyril Abidi...they paid me off and put someone in instead who was KO'd in 10seconds leaving Lebanner fresh against Abidi.

We think its because he'd found out that I'd been training with the top Dutch guys and he realised that (at that time) I've never failed to last a fight - we think he realised that even if he believed he would win he knew he would have a pressured fight...didn't want to risk the big pay day and grudge against Abidi, and therefore paid me off...

Smiler

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Yeah, I was due to fight him four weeks before his massive grudge match against Cyril Abidi...they paid me off and put someone in instead who was KO'd in 10seconds leaving Lebanner fresh against Abidi.

We think its because he'd found out that I'd been training with the top Dutch guys and he realised that (at that time) I've never failed to last a fight - we think he realised that even if he believed he would win he knew he would have a pressured fight...didn't want to risk the big pay day and grudge against Abidi, and therefore paid me off...

Smiler
    They also paid off Matt Skelton's contract as well didnt they.
    Too true smiler you always came for a fight!!!
    I remember your first K-1 appearance against Skelton!!!
    Looking for K-1 Kickboxers ALL Levels 26th Feb

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Lol, I was watching that the other day too!

That was at my 'natural' weight of 88.5kg - before I realised I needed to be alot bigger to fight the big boys!!

I had all the effect of a fly hitting a truck windscreen...

Its good to be walking around at my natural weight again, without having to hold all that bulk!

Troll hater.

That was a very informative insight into the k1 path for me..Thanks very much gary..really appreciate it..
    I'm done with chasin trolls