Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people say they teach Muay Thai but dont

Default Why do people say they teach Muay Thai but dont

just an observation - so many clubs these days pop up and half of them dont teach Muay Thai but call it that. Muay Thai (in my view) is the version of boxing native to thailand which means you score it as such. I know of a few MMA clubs that do this when their instructor isnt a muay thai teacher at all but a kickboxer - which is cool - but a very different sport indeed.
    I think they should be proud of what they teach (ie standup) but not call it thai boxing. Kixkboxing or K1 style is a more appropriate title.

I know Rob T has a BJJ Police thing and I like the whole BJJ concept of you teach a certain art and are proud of its heritage - Im proud to teach Muay Thai as an art.... it does seem these days a pair of thai shorts and suddenly people can call it thai....

I have done Karate for over 25 years and in my day it was Karate, but when the comps went faster it then went to Free Style Karate and when started to dry up it then went to Kick boxing.

The problem now a days is ~ MMA has exploded and some clubs ( not all ) are in it for the money ~ so they change their advertising to suit their needs.

Its a major problem that will never go away.

Be proud to be a Martial Artist of a certain Art ~ like I said I have always done Karate and Always will advertise myself as a Karate Instructor - by hay thats just me.

spot on, agree its 'trendy' but even very well respected gyms will still do it - i wont name names but some well known names do.

Be proud of what you teach

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    just an observation - so many clubs these days pop up and half of them dont teach Muay Thai but call it that. Muay Thai (in my view) is the version of boxing native to thailand which means you score it as such. I know of a few MMA clubs that do this when their instructor isnt a muay thai teacher at all but a kickboxer - which is cool - but a very different sport indeed.
    I think they should be proud of what they teach (ie standup) but not call it thai boxing. Kixkboxing or K1 style is a more appropriate title.

I know Rob T has a BJJ Police thing and I like the whole BJJ concept of you teach a certain art and are proud of its heritage - Im proud to teach Muay Thai as an art.... it does seem these days a pair of thai shorts and suddenly people can call it thai....
    A lot of MMA gyms teacvh a stand up class and call it Muay thai too.
    A lot of people have referred to what i do as muay thai and im quick to correct them and call it kickboxing.

Just because youre kicking with the shins and doing leg kicks as well as using clinch and knees dont make it Muay thai.
    Looking for K-1 Kickboxers ALL Levels 26th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    just an observation - so many clubs these days pop up and half of them dont teach Muay Thai but call it that. Muay Thai (in my view) is the version of boxing native to thailand which means you score it as such.
    How do you mean "score it as such"? Do you mean explain how certain strikes score more than others? Have you found that many students are particularly interested in this?

I've watched some Thai fights where at least half the fight was pure clinchwork, yet from what I've seen many places don't push it much.

i think if its a thai boxing gym, they should be training people to win thai fights scored the thai way whether the students ask for it or not. if they dont like it, they can go to a boxersize class or something, or the gym can rebrand itself

The instructor at our gym calls it 'hybrid kickboxing'. He's done karate and muay thai for years but you can't call it either of them because the stance is completely different when you're expecting to get shot in on.

I done kyokushin for years and when I used to teach I called it kickboxing mainly because I drifted into low kick events and punching to the face was allowed and boxing gloves became a "novelty" for me at the time anyway.

At the same time though I broke away from gi, line work etc never once sat in a sitting stance doing reverse punches and called it kickboxing

yes as muay thai is scored on effective blows - not just who throws or lands the most leather

and agree for MMA you have to teach a different style as its not muay thai nor is K1 - again have to adapt it due to scoring differences and clinch/elbows

i think hybrid kickboxing is an excellent name as it does what it says on the tin

Ultimate Cage Strikeboxing