Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do people say they teach Muay Thai but dont

Muay Jitsu
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by kickboxingidiot1 View Post
    A lot of MMA gyms teacvh a stand up class and call it Muay thai too.
    A lot of people have referred to what i do as muay thai and im quick to correct them and call it kickboxing.

Just because youre kicking with the shins and doing leg kicks as well as using clinch and knees dont make it Muay thai.
    Well put. Why dont MMA gyms who are only teaching some of the aspects of Muay Thai call their classes "Striking for MMA" as a lot of good gyms do. No discredit in teaching that as although Muay Thai and western boxing are the two best striking arts bar none, there are certain adaptations that have to be ade to effectively impliment them in MMA. I guess its just easier to use a well known term like a tag line or brand.

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

When I lived in Peterborough, I went to "Pauly's gym". He advertises online as Muay Thai, yet when you get to his class, you kick with your foot and he declares that the ram muay and wai kru are "a load of foreign sh*t". A good boxing coach and a former kickboxing champion (genuine credentials) but an absolute flatline selling out the name of Muay Thai. Made me very sad. The students are convinced by his propoganda.
    I like this thread.
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

Quote Originally Posted by stapesmk1 View Post
    Well put. Why dont MMA gyms who are only teaching some of the aspects of Muay Thai call their classes "Striking for MMA" as a lot of good gyms do. No discredit in teaching that as although Muay Thai and western boxing are the two best striking arts bar none, there are certain adaptations that have to be ade to effectively impliment them in MMA. I guess its just easier to use a well known term like a tag line or brand.

Stapes
    That what happens in dundee (dmmayasca), you have striking classes, where you will get a combination of stand up techniques from different arts.
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.

Loads of Gyms do it, check out their credentials, - how many fighters in the gym, lineage - who were they taught by etc etc, where and who do they fight i.e. only local promotions or out on the UK and international scene,

Do they have fighters who have fought in Thailand? Rajadamnern and Luimpinee or some of the other big stadiums ,not talking about Bangla Beach stadium where after a 2 week training holiday the promoters and Training Camp put you in with the pool cleaner or something similar.

I have seen western guys become a stadium champ in Thailand after 4 fights and 4 Knockouts before they then fight a proper fighter and get knocked th shit out of!
    All about the stadium gambling out there so dont believe that everything you see/hear about a gyms fighters are a true reflection of a superior gym.
    only one will come back and that will be me!
    www.thaiboxingwales.com

Training at Western/UK Gyms Thai style is also a recipe for bankruptcy, Western Muay Thai studnets pay a lot of money and want and expect to be 'taught'
    Thai Style training at a fighters gym anywhere in Thailand is Raw and your skill level progresses due to repetiton, repetition and repetition, sometimes boring and always very very hard work.

Find a Muay Boran style gym on the borders and you will learn loadfs of the Martial Arts side of Muay Thai.
    only one will come back and that will be me!
    www.thaiboxingwales.com

At neil hall's new gym our stiking classes are just gonna be called multi-strike kickboxing.
    Last edited by yorkshire gripper; 06-06-2010 at 09:29 PM.