Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: supplement advice

Default supplement advice

Hi folks,

I am looking at some advice for supplements

I've never used anything before, so I'm very new to this...

I'm 73kg looking to be fighting at 70kg (eventually), so dont want to gain weight

I am looking for something to help with:
    performance
    strength
    energy

also, I have recently changed my diet (now eating healthy) and have found I tend to be very tired all the time, any advice would be apprieciated?
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Hi mate,

You definately need some protein supplement in your diet other wise your body will burn immediate fuel (food) then fat followed by muscle. There are some other products on the market too at the moment designed for taking after training. They call them protein carb mixes.

One i am looking at now is made by PWRTEK its called REPAIR Protein and Carbs. Checkout www.discount-supplements.co.uk

I would take some professional advice (health stores etc) for use of protein.

A friend recommends the following

Protein shake as part your breakfast
    Before training
    After training
    At bedtime (mixed with milk) its supposed to feed your body through the night

As far as the sleep thing goes if you are increasing your training then you need to ensure good rest/sleep and maybe increase that too.

Having followed Lance Armstrongs exploits when i was cycling. He trains first thing in the morning with a reasonably long ride, eats then sleeps again for a couple of hours before getting up for a late lunch and training in the afternoon.

This is all well and good if you are being paid to fight and train. Not so easy if you are trying to hold down a job and run a family!!

Hope this helps in some way. Everyone you speak to will use supplements in a different way. listen to it all and come up with your own plan..

Nate
    Last edited by Nate1; 15-06-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    si vis pacem para bellum

i disagree.

Multivitamin possibly fish oil. but a better diet is normally what most people need

thanks Nate, appreciate that, gives me a starting point at least

any more advice folks?

sorry, i forgot to add, the more sleep advice is one of the most under utilized bits of advice.

Unfortunate i can't sleep even when i have more to do it. stupid insomnia

Quote Originally Posted by simonmobiledisco View Post
    sorry, i forgot to add, the more sleep advice is one of the most under utilized bits of advice.

Unfortunate i can't sleep even when i have more to do it. stupid insomnia
    Sleep is my downfall too bruv

I havnt gone to be before 11 in about 15 years, and I'm up at 5.30 every morning (except sunday) for a quick work out (nothing severe, 2 mile run, 50 sit ups, 50 push ups)

Quote Originally Posted by simonmobiledisco View Post
    i disagree.

Multivitamin possibly fish oil. but a better diet is normally what most people need
    been on the new diet for about 4 or 5 months now, proper healthy stuff 6 days out of 7 (I have a day off the diet to stop me going bonkers!)

I am training quite a lot recently, and have noticed a drop in performance due to the tiredness

well maybe a good supplement would be ZMA, it's great for quality of sleep or people with intense days.

Multivit is ahead of this though, well in cojunction anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Romeoblood View Post
    been on the new diet for about 4 or 5 months now, proper healthy stuff 6 days out of 7 (I have a day off the diet to stop me going bonkers!)

I am training quite a lot recently, and have noticed a drop in performance due to the tiredness
    whats your diet?

Sounds to me mate (and I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination). Your body is lacking fuel to burn. I think this because to say your training is dropping off and you constantly feel tired. Your body is telling you something.

In repsonse to 'simonmobiledisco' a good diet is a must. Thats why these powders are used as supplements and not replacements.
    However they are a good supply of protein to rebuild the wear and damage we cause to it.

If you have a day off training i would suggest dropping how much protein you put into it, say by half. Just have one in the morning and at bedtime. Its just a waste other wise, the body wont use it and will just piss it out.
    si vis pacem para bellum