Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Best gum shield

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St. Albans, Hertfordshire
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.K.A.Martial Arts View Post
    Hi Ben ~ as you are still have baby teeth I would go with a Boil and Bite is your only using it for Class Work ~ But Custom if your at Comp Level as they are the best fit.
    It's not baby teeth its just dentists say your mouth keeps changing until you are 21 or so. They are all adult teeth, including wisdoms but from photo's etc its seems they move since i had my braces off (3 years ago). I was just wondering whether it matter or this is just normal for everyone.
    I compete at amt looking to go semi-pro within a year. is the boil and bite still best?

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenA View Post
    It's not baby teeth its just dentists say your mouth keeps changing until you are 21 or so. They are all adult teeth, including wisdoms but from photo's etc its seems they move since i had my braces off (3 years ago). I was just wondering whether it matter or this is just normal for everyone.
    I compete at amt looking to go semi-pro within a year. is the boil and bite still best?
    you should be wearing a retainer after your ortho work. if not contact your dentsit and get one asap otherwise your teeth will move around over time-even adult teeth- which it shouldnt be doing and wont do if you get/have a retainer.
    iF ANYONE IS REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT TRAINING THEY SHOULD BE INVESTING IN A REAL CUSTOM MOUTHGUARD. Not an expensive boil and bite type
    Last edited by george; 16-06-2010 at 10:23 PM.

  3. #13

    Default

    Ben A ~ it was a joke my friend

    Custom Fit is the best sheild you can buy and wear but you would be surprised how many fighters that come into my shop and wont pay any thing more than 4.00 never mind 35.00 ( 25.00 for June )

    Boil and Bite sell faster simply because the number of people that start Martial Arts and need one straight away and they loose them numerous times and thats why they pick up a new sheild on a regular basis

    Decent Boil and Bite Shields are very good if you mould them correctly but they are never going to beat custom fit.

  4. #14

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.K.A.Martial Arts View Post
    Ben A ~ it was a joke my friend

    Custom Fit is the best sheild you can buy and wear but you would be surprised how many fighters that come into my shop and wont pay any thing more than 4.00 never mind 35.00 ( 25.00 for June )

    Boil and Bite sell faster simply because the number of people that start Martial Arts and need one straight away and they loose them numerous times and thats why they pick up a new sheild on a regular basis

    Decent Boil and Bite Shields are very good if you mould them correctly but they are never going to beat custom fit.
    You do the custom fit ones where you get sent the moulds and then send them off to Opro to get them made for 25? Am I reading that right? That is an absolute steal, I got mine from Opro direct a few years ago and it still fits perfect and is by far worth every penny. I only use it for BJJ now and can't recommend them enough.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

  6. #16

    Default

    My shock doctors (the 20 ones) fit better than the ones my dentist made.

    It's the same across- shock docs and the gel DIY mould jobs go around all the actual teeth etc. "Custom" dental ones are more like clasps around the top of the teeth/gums imo.

  7. #17

    Default

    Yes the Opro Custom Pack is what youi get from Opro and what the Dentist does but charges you 3 times the price.

    The offer is finishing come the end of June so if your in the market for a new sheild then dont delay.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Rob T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    9,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TroJon View Post
    My shock doctors (the 20 ones) fit better than the ones my dentist made.

    It's the same across- shock docs and the gel DIY mould jobs go around all the actual teeth etc. "Custom" dental ones are more like clasps around the top of the teeth/gums imo.
    Sounds like your dentist sucks.


    Everyone should get a custom fit, even if just for BJJ training. Really, 4 vs. 35... it is not much difference for the sake of your teeth.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

  9. #19

    Default

    Jesus Christ, CKA is offering such a steal of an offer. 25 for an OPRO custom.
    MMA Gear and Equipment Review Site
    http://MMAGearGuide.net

  10. #20

    Default

    Keen to get a custom one to see what the fuss is about.

    Only question is once you have made the mould and sent it back to them, how much more is it for the custom designs etc - looked on website and couldnt work it out.

    Thanks in advance!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.