Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my last fight

Default my last fight

Heres a video of my last fight, its amateur rules, no head shots

http://vimeo.com/12760078

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Both of you need to improve on the ground game, your wrestling seems ok, but that may be because his isn't up to standard.

On the ground, you had a lot of time to do the basic sweeps and escapes, so I guess you just need to work on knowing them. Especially in ama comps when no head strikes are allowed, it does make the grappling even more important.

Sounds bad that I'm being critical, but I'm thinking that's what you want?

Yeah thats exactly what i wanted, good to get feedback positive or negative.

I'm working on my ground game a lot right now as i know thats where i need to improve the most, coming from a boxing background im learning all the grappling fresh which is probably why i relied on my wrestling in the fight.

i like your walk in music

I'm part of team force so i know what the other guy is capable of, how he prepared etc.
    Im my opinion you should have destroyed your opponent. he's done boxing for 6 months (kinda useless in amt mma) and trained twice a week at mma for 3 months. he's 16, didn't cut any weight in the build up (just said i'm about 63kg, that will do) and has practically no ground game. i think the only 2 subs he knows are armbar and guillotine. he's reasonably strong for his size but his knowledge of BJJ is limited and he's now stopped training.

on the plus side the takedowns looked good (probably won you the score cards) and the ability to slam someone like that is always good.

I think you should just keep drilling the basics as there were times when there were a lot of easy subs or sweeps that could have been attempted (i know its easy to criticise in hindsight). Was it your first fight? be proud of your win, you can't expect wonders in your first fight.

i know hardly any of this post makes sense, and i'm hardly one to give advice (it was my first fight on the same card, and i was pretty poor)
    EDIT: re-read it sounds hugely negative, you did good, a wins and win
    Last edited by BenA; 22-06-2010 at 06:17 PM.

kool, yeah sounds similar to me, it was my second fight, 1st one i fought at featherweight but could only manage to get to 63kg and my opponent cut from 70kg, thats why i fought at bantam for this fight thought i had to get down to 60kg not 61 though so was cutting on the morning of the fight, basically im waiting to go semi-pro so i can use my boxing which as u say is pretty useless in the amateur comps, happy to keep learning as much as i can on the ground while im waiting to move to semi-pro though and my wrestling is getting a lot better
    Last edited by sam; 22-06-2010 at 09:48 PM.

i enjoyed watching it, you were in some dominant positions that you couldnt take advantage of because of the head shots

your opponents cage girl was gorgeous as well, as the winner you shoulda swopped her for the pics at the end

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    kool, yeah sounds similar to me, it was my second fight, 1st one i fought at featherweight but could only manage to get to 63kg and my opponent cut from 70kg, thats why i fought at bantam for this fight thought i had to get down to 60kg not 61 though so was cutting on the morning of the fight, basically im waiting to go semi-pro so i can use my boxing which as u say is pretty useless in the amateur comps, happy to keep learning as much as i can on the ground while im waiting to move to semi-pro though and my wrestling is getting a lot better
    Good lad! Keep it up. I like both your entrance music and your attitude towards training and wanting to improve.
    Looking for K-1 Kickboxers ALL Levels 26th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by BenA View Post
    I'm part of team force so i know what the other guy is capable of, how he prepared etc.
    Im my opinion you should have destroyed your opponent. he's done boxing for 6 months (kinda useless in amt mma) and trained twice a week at mma for 3 months. he's 16, didn't cut any weight in the build up (just said i'm about 63kg, that will do) and has practically no ground game. i think the only 2 subs he knows are armbar and guillotine. he's reasonably strong for his size but his knowledge of BJJ is limited and he's now stopped training.

on the plus side the takedowns looked good (probably won you the score cards) and the ability to slam someone like that is always good.

I think you should just keep drilling the basics as there were times when there were a lot of easy subs or sweeps that could have been attempted (i know its easy to criticise in hindsight). Was it your first fight? be proud of your win, you can't expect wonders in your first fight.

i know hardly any of this post makes sense, and i'm hardly one to give advice (it was my first fight on the same card, and i was pretty poor)
    EDIT: re-read it sounds hugely negative, you did good, a wins and win
    Tell you what i LOVED the slams!!!
    Looking for K-1 Kickboxers ALL Levels 26th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    i enjoyed watching it, you were in some dominant positions that you couldnt take advantage of because of the head shots

your opponents cage girl was gorgeous as well, as the winner you shoulda swopped her for the pics at the end
    haha cheers, good point there with the ring girls should have picked the nicer girl!

Can't wait to use head shots when i move up to semi-pro, i believe i should be able win more convincingly then and hopefully my ground will have improved a great deal by then