Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MMA league question

Default MMA league question

Hi guys,
    The club i train at is talking about entering the mma league this year (i believe it starts in september), and i was wondering what the standard was ? I'd quite like to have a go but ive only been training a year ,and im not the fittest by a long shot . Would i be massively out of my depth ,or do you think its worth a pop ? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    cheers

i did it after 5 months training and won my first 2 bouts... and i was with a muay thai based gym i did work very hard on my cardio though.

work on your fitness and give it a go

yeah i figure thats my main issue ,a lot of the time in sparring/rolling (towards the end of the session) i find my problem is not wondering what to do ,its that i know what to do but im too fooked to do it

get out running

Mate, am 33 with a bit of shit belly and after being an 18-30s rep fir five years my body is knackered lol, but i trained for a short while before entering, just do it mate, no head shots and one 5 min round you can't go wrong, surely u can fight, wiggle, moves your hips fir 5 mins??!! If I can, anyone can

see you in September :d
    I don't believe in belts. There should be no ranking system for toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    yeah i figure thats my main issue ,a lot of the time in sparring/rolling (towards the end of the session) i find my problem is not wondering what to do ,its that i know what to do but im too fooked to do it
    Remember that you'll be fresh and rested for the competition. As people have said, its only a five minute round per fight, and if you're really knackered you don't have to fight twice (although its worth it if you can).

I did the one at York Hall last May and it was a great experience, I even had Grant Waterman reffing my fights which was cool :-)
    Last edited by DoubleJab; 23-06-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Manchester predators are a quality team & club Old.Just googled it & it came back with 72 places in & around Manchester where you can do MMA.Not sure if their all still up & running.It was East Lancashire Predators that won MMA league.
    Last edited by No1mmafan; 01-07-2010 at 02:07 AM.
    Strictly Conscious Business Everytime.

Cheers for the advice people.whilst my first thought was to try lose the "middle-age spread" around my stomach before competing,i think id be really pissed off with my self if i dont at least have a go ,so having read your replies im gonna give it a whirl.

Dont worry about the weight loss so much mate, You cant win the bouts unless you submit the other guy, so having a six pack, popeye arms etc dont mean for anything.

But the MMA league DVD mate, have a look at the fights, will give you a good heads up on how it all works and all.

3 main things about MMA league, Triangle, Arm Bar and Guilotene seems to be the weapons of choice, learn to defend those, work the escapes, and you 90% there mate!

good luck! - My site has a ton of instrucitonal vids on for these, as I lost my MMA league bouts to the above! lol so am always studying!

http://www.sidecontrol.co.uk/video
    I don't believe in belts. There should be no ranking system for toughness.

And just remember to keep your punches below the head......I learnt that the hard way

But like everyone has said, just give it a go, it's good fun