Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally

Default Finally

Ok, next week I will be attending a beginers thai/mma class. I don't have any gloves, gum shield etc.... will I need them for a beginers class because I really want to get started on this?

Gumshield is one of the must haves in my opinion, we are still 5-10 years away from tooth regeneration and even then that will cost a lot ..... GUMSHIELD!

SjHarvey

I would say get a gumshield and a cup at first, the rest can come later, speak to your coaches for advice on what you need, where to get it locally, etc
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

There will probably be some stanky communal gloves there but you definitely want a gumshield. I don't think there's such thing as a communal gumshield but if there were, I wouldn't want to use it.

A boil & bite won't set you back anything. Check out sports direct if you have one. You'll be able to get a decent shock doctor boil and bite for a couple of pounds. I had one and it lasted me a good 2 years before I decided I needed a pro one.

Better to spend 2 pounds on a gum shield than have your teeth snapped out. Also, the gumshield saves you from the often overlooked tonguebite and cheekchomp.

And wash your bloody hands after using those gloves.

Groin guard and gum shield first. No point in getting fancy MMA gloves etc cos you may do a couple of sessions and give up or lose interest.

what these guys said already , most clubs will have spare stinky kit but i wouldnt like to spar without a gumshield in .

Quote Originally Posted by sjharvey View Post
    Ok, next week I will be attending a beginers thai/mma class. I don't have any gloves, gum shield etc.... will I need them for a beginers class because I really want to get started on this?
    Nah , you will be fine. Save your money , just get yourself a TapouT T'shirt and rock on over.

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

get a gum guard and a cup , the rest should be there to use ie gloves etc first few lessons are just to break you in

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    Nah , you will be fine. Save your money , just get yourself a TapouT T'shirt and rock on over.
    This is the most sensible advice SJHarvey will EVER recieve fact.

Alterntively buy a 3 quid boil and bite and get a cup, shouldn't set you back wmore than a tenna for both
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

I don't think a groin guard is too important. I didn't use one for about 6 months when I started out, and I only use them for sparring now. I can't get on with them. They feel horrible, and its even worse when you get a ball or some skin trapped in the side. And how are you meant to dry hump someone with your junk shielded?

For starting out - Board shorts for grappling and sports shorts for striking(board shorts limit flexability a bit), old tshirt you don't mind stinking and getting ripped, and a gum shield. Tha's 100% all you need.