Thread: nervous about getting back to gym

Default nervous about getting back to gym

I dislocated my pattella around 8-10 weeks ago at thai (god knows how i did it, it probably looked quite funny tbh i just hit the deck)

I've finished physio for two weeks now, and have started running twice a week (upping to 3 times next week) to gradually get back into it.

I feel the physio has helped, however i feel it has just got me back to where i was when this happened. So im looking for ways to stop this happening again.

I ask on here, rather than look around on the internet because i know there may be fighters who've had the same injury, and can let me know what helped for them. Or personal trainers who know something about the knee and how to prevent this happening again.

Unfortunately, if it happens again, i will need an operation, and it may effect me in other ways after that, which i really could do without. So any help is appreciated lads.

Cheers.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

There was an article in Mens Health quite a while back (flat mate buys them)

Pretty sure it was called "indestructible knees"

Loads of excersises in there to help strenghten the knees mate, like one leg squats on a step and stuff like that. ill try find it online pal.

Its good that your getting back into it tho, dont give up mate!

Also, kneepads - get them.

Try yoga once a week too, the more healthy flexabilty you have, the harder it is to get injured. (that said, my rubber guard was insane before i did my knee)
    This is not a gif. It is an actual video of Fedor doing infinate press ups.
    3-0-0

No idea mate but hope you get it sorted. Is the Patela your knees or something? I'm always having trouble with knees. Tight tube sock things usually do the trick and help them.

Good luck with it bud, hopefully all goes well when you return and it doesnt flare up again.

I know pretty much what you're going through though, long time injured myself!! Not really nervous about it though, more that I cant seem to find the motivation for it. I know once I get back that I'll think "why didnt I come back sooner" and that but the initial motivation is massively lacking at the minute!!

Anyway's, like I said earlier, good luck with it matey.

Hoping for all the best for you, dude; I wont be cleared to start training again for atleast another few months, I'm going mad here!

iv had a few problems with the knees mate focus on the boxing and then when you feel strong go back to the thai might help , ether way all the best with the knees mate its a fucker go easy on them

I'm recovering from a back injury, which relapsed in rehabilitation.. All i can say is listen to your body. I rushed back and missed out another 6-8 months. use whatever supports you can

Thanks for all the replies of advice/support guys, appreciate them.

Jak - Flat mate, yeah right homo. jokes mate, i will have a look, ive obviously googled a load of info, just wondered if smiler might pop along and give me some of his wisdom, or wether just googling "stregthen my knees" would be ok, because i know self diagnosis can make things worse.

Luke - Cheers fella, yeah the patella is basically the cap, so the knee itself never came out (i wud have been fucked if it did) so ive just tried to stregthen my knee muscles in physio, and now would like to take it further, with pistols/weighted squats etc. to ensure that it is held firmly in place. I miss training and hate the way im looking at the mo, so im dying to get back, but don't want to further injure myself by going back too early.

Clarky - Cheers buddy, I know what you mean, but im slowly building up my motivation by getting up and running 5k before work twice a week. Just building on it at the minute and still feeling lazy but Im getting there. Maybe try that. Or promise yourself to do 1 session a week once your back to full health. When you get back and see how much you still love it. You will motivate yourself no problem.

Dan Crase - Cheers bro, I know im going stir crazy myself, like i said to clarky build on the excersise, try a run/walk/cycle, anything mate. Then just build on it, although i know I'll be blowing out of my arse first session back haha!

JaydukeJay - welcome to the forum you totally new member Thanks mate, I might try that, but with my jits. Go back to BJJ first, the new gym has a BJJ session, plenty of grappling too. Try that, then maybe stick some freestyle in, before i go totally back and start doing stand up.

Simon - Definately mate, thats where the nerves are i think. My knee is totally fine, but maybe stiff after a good run. So stretch it off and warm down and its fine. I'll be back on the cod liver oil soon for my joints once i find where i put the bloody big box of them. Maybe that will help with the stiffness. That sucks about your relapse too, injury throws you for a total fuckin loop. Hope your sorted soon bro, take it easy though if you've already relapsed. I know I for one would rather be in good health, than get 1 session in and go back to square one.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

I am exactly the same with regards to running, i've spent the last 4/5months out injured due to a tendon injury picked up through running. Has been a nightmare as it came at just the wrong time and has taken alot of money/physio to get over but it feels much better now and i've been going out for a few light runs but i'm still scared to go out doing sprints etc.

i done a simular thing a few years back. when i could move it again i started doing really light, slow leg extensions bringing my toes all the way back when at the top, and half reps on the leg press. i dont know if it was the right thing to do but it seemed to help strengthen them back up up. but your right, wait for smiler or someone to give some good advice.