Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ideal diet?

Quote Originally Posted by simonmobiledisco View Post
    Not to steel someone else thunder, but white potatoes and pasta have rubbish nutritional contended (sweet potatoes are suprisingly nutritious and tasty). They are pretty much empty calories and not that usefull unless you are trying to avoid a calorie defficit. They are calorie dense so they are a lot of your daily calories for not much food. They are also hi GI so spikes in your insuilin levels making you hungry.
    i guess some of this comes down to body type etc. then? I've had sweet pots and yes - i agree, nowt wrong with them and i would recommend to anybody trying to keep their weight down/lose weight.

personally, i'm such a hard gainer and a small guy the potatoes are probs doing me a favour. I'm single figures body fat and struggle to maintain 75kg's (as in i'd be less) when training hard. Your thoughts SMD???
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
    Hello mate,

If you weigh 90kg (198 pound) you need around 200grams of protein just to maintain the muscle you have now. If you eat over 200g of protein through the day you will gain muscle. Try and consume atleast 3-4 different sources of protein as you will then be covering all the required amino acids to help your body repair/recover. I eat things like tuna, chicken, lean meats, eggs, whey protein shakes etc. Whey protein shakes are good, your body absorbs the protein within 15 mins if you drink them with water. If you drink them with milk it can take hours to digest because of the lactose in the milk. You need to supply your body through out the day so it has protein available for recovery. There is around 6g of protein in a whole egg and around 4g if you just eat the white. Depending on the size of the egg's obviously Counting protein through the day can be bit of a pain but if you want to know how much your consuming its better to make a note. There is 25g of protein in 1 can of tuna..

Smaller meals with around 25-30g protein and 30-50g carbs is ideal, depending on what your training goals are. Most important time of day to take advantage of your eating is straight after your workout ends and when you wake up in the morning. After you have been training your body is depleted so you can consume more protein and carbs, I take in around 50g of protein after training. You have a 30 min window of opportunity after training that is good for muscle recovery and repair. I try to eat a varied diet, I avoid fizzy drinks, alcohol etc. Add some fruit in to your diet, bananas are good they contain potassium that will help regulate blood pressure.
    cheers mate.
    this is where it gets confusing for myself, as i've always counted calories/fat it's hard to now focus on proteins etc. for instance eggs as a quality source of protein but when counting fats i tend to stear clear as they're fairly high. that's when it can get confusing if you don't understand nutrition that well (like me), eggs on paper look high fat but in reality can be beneficial to your bodies needs.
    this is a reason why i started this thread to try and get some help in getting things clearer in my mind.
    i know the basics about calories/fat and of what foods do what and what to eat, but i've never focused on protein etc for muscle development etc - hence the thread.
    i've always basically focused my diet on a calorie limit (obviously getting to that limit through as healthy food as possible). but that'd include salad sandwiches etc, but now reading further you read that breads/high carb foods are nothing but but - even though low calorie.
    this is where it all gets on top of someone like myself who's a total novice.

i've always had an interest in health and fitness, just never had the chance to learn about it, thats why im enjoying reading this thread to pick up some valuable info from those who live a healthy/athletes lifestyle that im aiming to achieve.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Being the geek I am , I put a spreadsheet together with all my eating plan on it, and everything is available split by the below list.

I tend to concentrate on saturated fat, protein and Cals. My spreadsheet also tells me how my calories are taken into my body , hence i load most of them in the morning and tail them off early afternoon. its quite hand.. i just put each meal out by time and the nutritional content. then I do a graph on it

Energy Values (kcal) per pack
    Protein (g) per pack
    Carbohydrate (g) per pack
    - of which sugars(g)
    Fat (g) per pack
    - of which saturates (g)
    Dietary Fibre (g) per pack
    Sodium (g) per pack
    Average weight (g) per pack

you will be surprised what you can get nutritional info on. I have yest started to weigh my food, i am thinking thats next if i realy want to cut up.

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave78 View Post
    i guess some of this comes down to body type etc. then? I've had sweet pots and yes - i agree, nowt wrong with them and i would recommend to anybody trying to keep their weight down/lose weight.

personally, i'm such a hard gainer and a small guy the potatoes are probs doing me a favour. I'm single figures body fat and struggle to maintain 75kg's (as in i'd be less) when training hard. Your thoughts SMD???
    i concur, they do no harm at all and a good source of calories if thats what you are looking for. So long as you base nutrients met.

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    Being the geek I am , I put a spreadsheet together with all my eating plan on it, and everything is available split by the below list.

I tend to concentrate on saturated fat, protein and Cals. My spreadsheet also tells me how my calories are taken into my body , hence i load most of them in the morning and tail them off early afternoon. its quite hand.. i just put each meal out by time and the nutritional content. then I do a graph on it

Energy Values (kcal) per pack
    Protein (g) per pack
    Carbohydrate (g) per pack
    - of which sugars(g)
    Fat (g) per pack
    - of which saturates (g)
    Dietary Fibre (g) per pack
    Sodium (g) per pack
    Average weight (g) per pack

you will be surprised what you can get nutritional info on. I have yest started to weigh my food, i am thinking thats next if i realy want to cut up.
    have you used fitday to track you food, you add any food you wants with the above info and can record your daily food intake easy and plot your weight against it. but i suppose you've done that already

Quote Originally Posted by simonmobiledisco View Post
    have you used fitday to track you food, you add any food you wants with the above info and can record your daily food intake easy and plot your weight against it. but i suppose you've done that already
    mine is just a basic spreadsheet mate , i like apps like that though. a great way to work out what you are eating on the go.

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

what sort of things do you eat for lunch/dinner and snacks? been doing this nearly a week now and alls going well but struggling to find lunches. dinner is easier as i generally cook something different each day but generally don't have the time to spend cooking for lunches. i know to prepare beforehand and tommorow im cooking up a load of chicken terriyaki and storing it, but i'm finding lunches the hardest to keep healthy (only so many soups and salads i can stomach).
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    what sort of things do you eat for lunch/dinner and snacks? been doing this nearly a week now and alls going well but struggling to find lunches. dinner is easier as i generally cook something different each day but generally don't have the time to spend cooking for lunches. i know to prepare beforehand and tommorow im cooking up a load of chicken terriyaki and storing it, but i'm finding lunches the hardest to keep healthy (only so many soups and salads i can stomach).
    Double cook dinner portions and have the next day or day after that for lunch. Things like spag bol, chilli, can be frozen and microwaved easy.

Rottisery chicken for the win.

Another easy one is

large baking tray
    3 large mixed bell peppers chopped ( i like to throw in an extra red pepper)
    2 x red onion in segments
    vine tomatoes cut in segments
    2 x large courgettes sliced.
    4-5 garlic cloves hand crushed still in their skin
    1 large sweet potato cut into biteside chunks, parboiled 10 mins
    +what ever you want carrots, artichoke, eggplant, parsnips

chuck all that in the pan, glug some EVOO in there, some mixed herbs (the jar stuff is fine) Throw itin the oven for 45 mins. Job done. Looks epic, tastes amazing and makes about 5 side servings of veg. that goes amazing with anything. can use as anti pasti, sandwich accompinant, roast dinners

Do that on a sunday and you are sorted for the week. It looks serious epic and is piss easy to do. Prep takes 10 mins, once cooking you only have to still it once or twice whilst you watch a half of footie and you are done.

For a less healthy, but yummy treat, put slices of halloumi cheese on for the last 15 minutes.

In fact, this is happening this Weekend with chicken breast stuffed with spinach, mushroom, riccota, walnuts, wrapped in pancetta (again sounds and looks impressive) piss easy to do! Guaranteed sex after when cooking for a women.

some good ideas there mate. going to have to try it.

im probably being dense but what is EVOO? lol
    GFT

extra virgin olive oil. Although OO (you can work that out ) should suffice