Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with motivation please!

Hybrid View

Default help with motivation please!

I don't really know what's wrong with me. Maybe it's a huge knock in confidence and the fear of getting my head kicked in, haha!

I used to really love training. I did tae kwon do and then jeet kune do. I used to train every day without fail and for about 5/6 years.

However I had a huge knock in my confidence, then quickly after a sudden shortage of cash to pay for lessons/fuel to get there, and then my job took over my life and I had no time left for anything! After this I then went through depression and again that seemed to take over. Since January I've been pulling myself together and sorting my life out so that's good

Anyway, I suddenly realised it's been 4 years since I did anything!!! Not even running! How did that happen???

So, I want to get back into training. I want my fitness up, stamina up, I want to remember how to do locks, sweeps etc and well....i just want to get good again, basically.

However, I've sort of hit a mental wall and I just can't get past it. I start off my training with enthusiasm, I do maybe the first 30 minutes with enthusiasm, and then suddenly something in me just quits. I can't explain it. One moment I'm feeling fine and starting to get on with things, the next I am somehow sitting on the floor feeling fed up and unhappy. I just lose all the enthusiasm and feel like I just can't move anymore.

Is there anyone on here that can give me any ideas on what I can do to get past this? It's definitely NOT physical - it's a mental problem. I do get tired and while getting tired may well be a small factor in it, I believe it's more than that.

Or has anyone else ever reached what feels like a "wall" before?? any tips on how to get past it??

Oh and..... HI!!!

Lozzy

what was it that initially knocked your confidence?

thats what it all stems from it seems

Hi Neil,

It turned out that there was a small motion I had wrong. The reason why is I'm perhaps "too flexible" in my back!

Basically in the two martial arts I was doing there was one core movement in every movement we did to help generate the power - twisting the hips. For every one else they would do the twist, which flicked out their arms/legs and then they were able to generate more power. However, when I did it I wasn't "stiff enough" in my back - I can very very easily keep my hips one way and turn my upper body right round. What would happen with me is my hips would move but I couldn't get my upper body to follow.... if you know what I mean.

After thinking I was doing it right it was a shock to find out I wasn't. I find it difficult to not be too flexible

I think I explained it right, sorry if that's not clear

Hi Lozzy,

firstly, there are all sorts of levels and abilities....maybe you were doing this 'wrong' but in comparison were you really so bad? Maybe you should rationalise this against the things you could do better than others could and overall maybe your ability would be on a par with theirs?

Also, as for your mental block, a sports / life coach would be an expensive but likely effective fix. Personally (and please, i don't mean this horribly) i think you may need to take the 'get some nuts' approach! When it gets hard, dig deep mate, grit those teeth and tell yourself its not time to quit and that you can't be beaten! Then, when you do finally quit or you do get beaten, rationalise and don't over analyse it....everyone has a quitting point and everyone gets beaten....its just afterwards if you can look in the mirror and say "I did my best!" thats the bit that matters! If you are not doing your best, you are letting yourself down and this is likely why you feel so bad.

Push yourself, surround yourself with positive people, get good training partners, grit your teeth

Hope this helps bro
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave78 View Post
    Hi Lozzy,

firstly, there are all sorts of levels and abilities....maybe you were doing this 'wrong' but in comparison were you really so bad? Maybe you should rationalise this against the things you could do better than others could and overall maybe your ability would be on a par with theirs?

Also, as for your mental block, a sports / life coach would be an expensive but likely effective fix. Personally (and please, i don't mean this horribly) i think you may need to take the 'get some nuts' approach! When it gets hard, dig deep mate, grit those teeth and tell yourself its not time to quit and that you can't be beaten! Then, when you do finally quit or you do get beaten, rationalise and don't over analyse it....everyone has a quitting point and everyone gets beaten....its just afterwards if you can look in the mirror and say "I did my best!" thats the bit that matters! If you are not doing your best, you are letting yourself down and this is likely why you feel so bad.

Push yourself, surround yourself with positive people, get good training partners, grit your teeth

Hope this helps bro
    Some of the best and most honest advice I've read in a while there like
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Interesting thread, i too suffer with something a bit similar to this on occasion.

could you perhaps suffer from Avoident Personality Disorder?

Top advice from dave ^
    This is not a gif. It is an actual video of Fedor doing infinate press ups.
    3-0-0

dave has it nailed.

Hello Mr Lozzy.

Stop being so fucking lazy, you miserable cunt-rag. Get down t'gym, laddy!

That help? Ok, on a serious note it appears that your depression isn't yet behind you. Take things steady. Perhaps join a gym? You can take things at your own pace, with no pressure, gradually building up your fitness and confidence. After 4 years away it will take some time to get back in the swing of things. Getting your head right must be your priority.

it's all about achieving your goals, and the more those goals mean to you, the more motivation you can generate.

ask yourself this: what do i want to achieve?
    then: how could i realistically accomplish this?
    draw up a detailed plan of how you expect to accomplish each detail, then stick to it.
    if you do, you'll achieve your goals.
    if you don't, you're needing a kick up the backside from yourself.
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

i know what you mean. but than i found prozac.
    Insert whiny message