Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can the average woman really train to defend herself against a determined attacker?

Moderator of Love <3

No I will overpower all of my victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet J View Post
    No.

Neither can most men.

A 'determined' attacker implies somebody who has set their mind to doing something, as opposed to an opportunist. It would be hard for an opportunist burglar to break into my house, for example, because I'm security concious and have good locks that I use, but should someone be determined to get in they could just smash through the two front doors with a sledge hammer.

If someone has determined to attack/mug/rape/kill you you're normally too engulfed by the situation when it happens to react in any meaningful way. The trick is not to be a super badass cagefighting man or woman but to be aware of dangerous situations, places and people and avoid them before it becomes an issue.

You shouldn't really have the need to be a martial arts expert on 'the street' if you apply common sense. Many people who begin stories about how they were attacked begain with something like: "I was running late so i cut through the dodgy estate. I knew I shouldn't have but..." or "I knew something seemed wrong about the guy but..."

Best self defense move for men and women: If a situation or person feels wrong then avoid it, because if someone is determined to do something to you there's often not as much that you can do about it as you'd like to imagine.

As for those pesky opportunistic attackers, the best defense moves for women are all things that can't be practised properly, like eye gouges (because the joint lock crap that most women's self defense classes teach are just nonsense) and more importantly actually pulling them off requires a level of mental toughness and awareness in the face of adrenaline and fear that few people (men or women) have naturally and that cannot be realistically trained without repeated exposure to the situation, which thankfully most people don't get.

Spot on with this.

i think birds have a better chance to defend themselves if they have trained in a proper combat martial art like muay thai than they are when they train at the mcdojo's which teach them all kinds of locks and arm twists etc.

you see alot of gyms offer ladies classes which focus on subduing the opponent but as with any of these type martial arts/self defence it seldom works for both men or women. these sort of things take years to perfect and that's something 99.9% of people won't have.

teaching them a basic form of traditional fighting is of far more benefit, teach them powerful kicks, punches and movements and i see no reason why a bird can't knock down or defend herself against an attacker.imo a bird is far more likely to put up a good fight if they just know how to punch and kick effectively and is used to sparring/contact fighting so knows what to do, rather than trying to lock up wrists.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

and whilst it's more of a rarity there's a bird at our gym, only 15/16 and about 50kg's but she batters most of the blokes. her stand ups fucking crisp and the leg kicks are more powerful than majority of the guys. she gets in there and spars with 100+ kg blokes and gives as good as she gets.
    point being is that there's plenty of birds out there who'd stand a better chance of defending themselves than alot of men so it's stupid to just answer this thread question with a simple "NO"
    guess its a rarer though, but shows that teaching a certain art can certainly improve their chances.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    and whilst it's more of a rarity there's a bird at our gym, only 15/16 and about 50kg's but she batters most of the blokes. her stand ups fucking crisp and the leg kicks are more powerful than majority of the guys. she gets in there and spars with 100+ kg blokes and gives as good as she gets.
    point being is that there's plenty of birds out there who'd stand a better chance of defending themselves than alot of men so it's stupid to just answer this thread question with a simple "NO"
    guess its a rarer though, but shows that teaching a certain art can certainly improve their chances.
    that logic kind of null and voids almost every sporting, social and politcical debate as there is always an exception to the rule. However to have a constructive debate you have to take into account the general concencus. It's naiive to assume there's no exception, but it's not stupid to generalise

Shit you guys are mad. My ex is a purple belt in BJJ (Shes from Rio) and trust me, as fit as she looks she would tear the head off an attacker especially an untrained one. She would simply put him to sleep or take his balls home with her, I know god how I've tried....

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinSubz02 View Post
    Shit you guys are mad. My ex is a purple belt in BJJ (Shes from Rio) and trust me, as fit as she looks she would tear the head off an attacker especially an untrained one. She would simply put him to sleep or take his balls home with her, I know god how I've tried....
    Lying bastard, you've never had a girlfriend, try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinSubz02 View Post
    trying to rape someone doesn't not qualify them as a girlfriend. Past or present