Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gurkha's = warriors

Quote Originally Posted by ross90 View Post
    why would it have been big news? We find out what the press let us, so no it wouldnt have to be big news.

Theres loads of taliban killed every day, and every week. But we don't hear about it, we just hear shit like this. Although I understand your sceptisism, i am somewhat confused by your "I don't doubt their skill" comment. You don't doubt that they're capable of it, yet you doubt it because you didnt read it in the paper...?
    No, I know they're good, but that story sounds fantasy-like mate and big battles ( especially ones that contain over 100 Taliban ) are made public, especially when 3 Gurkhas butcher 70 taliban with Kukris. There is no way on earth the top people wouldn't have made a story like that public, you shouldn't take offense just because I don't believe your mates stories, but public or not they still sound made up so I'm only having an opinion.

i don't agree at all that the army would make it public, if anything the top army officials try and keep as much secret as possible, hearts and minds and all that, doesn't do much for the troops out there if sensationalised stories get leaked to the press.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    i don't agree that it would be all over the news, how many operations get air times in the media? fuck all. the only reason our media will show it is if its something controversial and critical of our troops. you really think any regiment would want this sort of brave action to get into the mainstream? you know exactly how the scum media would spin it and make the gurkhas look like maniac knife wielding savage murderers. who'd leak it to the media anyway? on a patrol in the middle of nowhere only the boys involved know what happened and i doubt any of them would be in a rush to get back to camp and blab to all the media about it. operations get kept low profile and the troops get on with their jobs without feeling the need to tell the world about their individual bravery.
    There's stories coming out all the time about troops doing heroic things in battle/being lucky etc.

The media don't like to spin stories involving troops, they know people back here are mostly fully behind them and it would wreck their reputation if proved wrong.

[QUOTE=BlueRabbit;633588]Apalled? The lad showed initiative! Gurkhas are awesome. They deserve our upmost respect. It's embarassing how our government has repeatedly shit on Gurkha veterans.QUOTE]

Un-real isn't it! The fact they even question a Gurkha's right to live in this country is a fucking scandal and makes me ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    i don't agree at all that the army would make it public, if anything the top army officials try and keep as much secret as possible, hearts and minds and all that, doesn't do much for the troops out there if sensationalised stories get leaked to the press.
    Which stores involving confirmed kills have been sensationalised? Craig Harrison has been very highly regarded in pretty much any article I can find. He wasn't described in any dramatic fashion for just carrying out his job. When our lads crashed an APC into a Basra jail to get out two of our lads (supposed spooks or UKSF/UKSFG) there was no spin on it.

Again the latest incident in Babaji with the Ghurka's from the articles I have read have not had any spin on them, just the fact that a Ghurka beheaded a Taliban Warlord and our paper pushers weren't right happy about it.

I don't think he was wrong but things like that will affect hearts and minds campaigns with the Afghan people.
    http://www.isaninja.co.uk