Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gurkha's = warriors

Quote Originally Posted by mickclark View Post
    I am lost for words!
    I was too mate, they really are pure bred warriors. Thank fuck they're on our side.

Another story he told me while he was there (not while he was with them, but a story began its rounds around the lads, of when a ghurka was patrolling with some americans)

They were in a compound, (the big mud walled towns) and up an alley way around 20 metres long, a ghurka turned to go up it (whilst a fire fight was going on) as he ran to get to a firing position, a taliban fighter appeared at the end of the alleyway, both rifles were raised, and the ghurka pulled his trigger first. *Clunk* rifle jammed. He then, without stopping, dropped his rifle, and pulled his kukri, by this time the taliban fighter had pulled the trigger. But his rifle jammed too, the ghurka sprinted the 20 metre alleyway and cut him from arsehole to earhole apparently.

Then fixed the stoppage in his rifle, and carried on fighting. Ive also read the story somewhere on the internet too. That never happened when he was there though, he just got told about it.

I can't have enough respect for them.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Quote Originally Posted by Leesin View Post
    Unbelievable, the thing is it wasn't some barbaric exeuction, the guy was already dead, they just took the head to prove who he was. Plus we should be protecting our soldiers, it's fucking ridiculous what these guys have to do and then suffer at the hands of our own government.

Btw Ross90, that story sounds like complete bullshit, no offense, but that would have been big news if 3 gurkhas killed like 70 taliban with their Kukri knives. I don't doubt their skill, but you have to be gullible to believe your mates story lmao.
    why would it have been big news? We find out what the press let us, so no it wouldnt have to be big news.

Theres loads of taliban killed every day, and every week. But we don't hear about it, we just hear shit like this. Although I understand your sceptisism, i am somewhat confused by your "I don't doubt their skill" comment. You don't doubt that they're capable of it, yet you doubt it because you didnt read it in the paper...?
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Quote Originally Posted by ross90 View Post
    i am somewhat confused by your "I don't doubt their skill" comment. You don't doubt that they're capable of it, yet you doubt it because you didnt read it in the paper...?
    touche!!!!!!
    I'm a doctor in exercise the same way Dr Dre is in hip hop!

Quote Originally Posted by ross90 View Post
    The thing is, it is a war. There should be no rules,

Thank fuck you're not in charge.

The story about the Gurkha's smacks of something you might here in the playground. No doubt they're fine soldiers, but that story is utter nonsense. Just think about the practicalities of it for starters - how far apart would each of the 76 taliban have needed to be spread out from the next, in order that a gurkha could kill him from close range (i.e. with a knife) and without being apprehended by the other 75 taliban, all of whom are carrying rifles. The idea of 3 of the plattoon sloping off without informing the rest of the unit (whilst the unit is in the shit, i might add) doesn't sound like good practice and i doubt any of them would do that.

3 men killing 76 men with knives when the enemy would have been armed themselves sounds slightly over exaggerated.

my mates a Royal Marine, and his truck he was driving was hit by ied. was in a convoy or something, they was fine, bruised arse and totaly fucked truck, and they was laughing and joking about it for a couple of mins, they was ambushed by a load of taliban..
    now, I don't know the ins and outs of what they do out there, but he said, fair enough, they was out numbered, but as soon as the taliban realise it was a convoy of veichels, they kinda fucked off sharpish, as apperntly, where there is a convoy of trucks, air support in the way of an apache is not far away at all, and the taliban are scared to death of the things..
    he said that the air support fired at the taliban, and I think it only killed like 3 of them... and that thing is a serious bit of kit, with comandos on the ground too.. and only 3 taliban was killed...

I think Gurkhas are the shizzle, but to take out 76, even if it was with guns, is a bit far fetched...
    I'm a doctor in exercise the same way Dr Dre is in hip hop!

If they did kill 76 the media would be all over it and no doubt they would have received a Vctoria cross for it.

Gurkha's are awesome tho

I'm sure he didn't say they killed 76 enemies with just their Knives
    "You can't have that, you're far to fat"

.................................................. ........................

Im not sure lads its not my story, It may well be a fishermans tale "the fish was THIS big..." and in reality there were nowhere near as many killed.

WCR - you seem to be clued up on the goings on of what happens in a fire fight and the ins and outs of what the ghurka soldiers do and don't do.

Although to be honest, maybe silent killings are the best way to do it, its night time, the taliban dont have any night vision equipment. There are rounds going off all over and shots being fired. They could have started whistling their favourite song and still not been heard couldn't they.

Like i said though lads, it may have been 10 or 1 killed, who knows. It sounds impressive though and i still hold them in high regard as a regiment.