Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gurkha's = warriors

Quote Originally Posted by ross90 View Post
    Im not sure lads its not my story, It may well be a fishermans tale "the fish was THIS big..." and in reality there were nowhere near as many killed.

WCR - you seem to be clued up on the goings on of what happens in a fire fight and the ins and outs of what the ghurka soldiers do and don't do.

Although to be honest, maybe silent killings are the best way to do it, its night time, the taliban dont have any night vision equipment. There are rounds going off all over and shots being fired. They could have started whistling their favourite song and still not been heard couldn't they.

Like i said though lads, it may have been 10 or 1 killed, who knows. It sounds impressive though and i still hold them in high regard as a regiment.
    I certainly couldn't comment on the 'ins and outs' of what the Gurkha's get up to, having never served with them, but this story doesn't really concern the ins and outs. I could comment on the generalities of soldiering from my own experience. Common sense also comes into play here. And the original story tallies up with neither. However, it would tally up nicely with a Jean Claude Van Damme film.

Its nice though to see so much love for them. Stories like this always crop up about elite units. The reality though, in my opinion, is that apart from Special Forces units, there's often little to seperate the more 'famous' regiments from the other less glamorous regiments.
    Last edited by WCR; 24-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Hahaha! I get what you mean WCR. It would make a pretty awesome film.

On a note of badassery that sounds unbelievable, and far fetched check these dudes out...

They are off their nuts. I like that website too its got some cool shit. But as for sounding far-fetched, read through those 5. Shit like that, can be done haha! Just possibly not in this case
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

On a note of badassery that sounds unbelievable, and far fetched check these dudes out...

They are off their nuts. I like that website too its got some cool shit. But as for sounding far-fetched, read through those 5. Shit like that, can be done haha! Just possibly not in this case
    Quality. I want to be Jack Churchill.

And you're right, those accounts seem on a par with the one we've been discussing.

My cat's name is Mittens ralphylad's Avatar

Is flying planes into buildings against the geneva convention? I rest my case your honour!

as for Ghurka stories how about this one "Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung, who found himself under repeated Japanese attack in Burma in 1945. With his comrades badly injured, he fought off 200 enemy troops single-handed - literally - having lost an arm and eye.

When a relief force found him the next morning, his position was littered with 31 Japanese corpses. The 169 survivors had run away. Rifleman Gurung - who now lives in Middlesex - became one of the 26 members of the Brigade of Gurkhas to win the Victoria Cross (there would, undoubtedly, have been more but the VC was not extended to Gurkhas until 1911).
    Last edited by ralphylad; 24-07-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    "I honestly can't even remember my old signature, so I'll have this one"

Quote Originally Posted by ralphylad View Post
    "Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung, who found himself under repeated Japanese attack in Burma in 1945. With his comrades badly injured, he fought off 200 enemy troops single-handed - literally - having lost an arm and eye.

When a relief force found him the next morning, his position was littered with 31 Japanese corpses. The 169 survivors had run away. Rifleman Gurung - who now lives in Middlesex - became one of the 26 members of the Brigade of Gurkhas to win the Victoria Cross (there would, undoubtedly, have been more but the VC was not extended to Gurkhas until 1911).
    That is the most awesomely awesome example of awesomenessnessness that I've ever heard.

EDIT: 169 soldiers fled from a one-arm one-eyed opponent- where they french-japanese?
    Last edited by BlueRabbit; 24-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphylad View Post
    Is flying planes into buildings against the geneva convention? I rest my case your honour!

as for Ghurka stories how about this one "Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung, who found himself under repeated Japanese attack in Burma in 1945. With his comrades badly injured, he fought off 200 enemy troops single-handed - literally - having lost an arm and eye.

Courage of a type so unbelievable, that us mere mortals could never come close to understanding. Amazing.
    Bullshit I can't hear you. Sound off like you got a pair!

Simo Hayha is fucking unbelievable! He makes Vasily Zaitsev look like some amateur.

The Battle of Saragarhi, one of history's most famous last stands, was fought during the Tirah Campaign on 12 September 1897 between twenty-one Sikhs of the 4th Battalion (then 36th Sikhs) of the Sikh Regiment of British India, defending an army post, and 10,000 Afghan and Orakzai tribesmen.

-Gurmukh Singh, who communicated the battle with Col. Haughton, was the last Sikh defender. He is stated to have killed 20 Afghans, the Pashtuns having to set fire to the post to kill him. As he was dying he was said to have yelled repeatedly the regimental battle-cry "Jo Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal (He who cries God is Truth, is ever victorious).

read the rest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi
    Last edited by r-v; 24-07-2010 at 09:33 PM.
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

Only 76?? An off day for the Gurkhas then.

i don't agree that it would be all over the news, how many operations get air times in the media? fuck all. the only reason our media will show it is if its something controversial and critical of our troops. you really think any regiment would want this sort of brave action to get into the mainstream? you know exactly how the scum media would spin it and make the gurkhas look like maniac knife wielding savage murderers. who'd leak it to the media anyway? on a patrol in the middle of nowhere only the boys involved know what happened and i doubt any of them would be in a rush to get back to camp and blab to all the media about it. operations get kept low profile and the troops get on with their jobs without feeling the need to tell the world about their individual bravery.
    "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
    GFT