Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: effects of tiredness on training and fighting???

Default effects of tiredness on training and fighting???

I'm tired right now,not slept a proper nights sleep in lets say about 3 and a half years with me being woken every couple of hours all night long,but recently it's getting worse.(the sleeping is due to children)
    What i'm finding now is that my fitness feels terrible right now,i feel so out of shape but i'm training hard,is this sort of thing directly related to lack of sleep or should i be looking at other issues such as over training or pick up my cardio some more???
    My training is basically,2 hours weights 5 days,train 2 hours a night 5 days,football 2 days,i have slightly decreased my cardio training as i am trying to put a bit of muscle on at the minute, any advice would be grateful
    Don't Take Life Too Serious Or You'll Die Stressed!!!

hi m8, i find that exactly the same, when i have bad nights sleep due to insomnia feels like my fitness is shit and exactly the same with over training its a fine line but rest is important, i would have a couple days rest then when u go back see how your fitness is if it still feels shit pick up the intensity. and maybe lock at your diet to increase carbs and greens etc, hope this helps

mike

Quote Originally Posted by mad mike View Post
    hi m8, i find that exactly the same, when i have bad nights sleep due to insomnia feels like my fitness is shit and exactly the same with over training its a fine line but rest is important, i would have a couple days rest then when u go back see how your fitness is if it still feels shit pick up the intensity. and maybe lock at your diet to increase carbs and greens etc, hope this helps

mike
    cheers mate,much appreciated.

training + no sleep is a terrible mix Phil, i also have suffered with this due to kids/shift work

you will struggle to put muscle on and train to your full potential with lack of sleep, they reckon its one of the main key things along with protein etc. to build muscle....but sometimes life just gets in the way mate eh lol
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave78 View Post
    training + no sleep is a terrible mix Phil, i also have suffered with this due to kids/shift work

you will struggle to put muscle on and train to your full potential with lack of sleep, they reckon its one of the main key things along with protein etc. to build muscle....but sometimes life just gets in the way mate eh lol
    yeah,life has a tendency to do that sometimes,we've got 3 boys under 3 and a half so ones just getting into a routine as one's keeping us awake,lol,but i wouldn't give them back for anything

You're doing far too much mate !!!! ( especially as you're getting minimal sleep )

Why are you doing 2 hours weights 5 days a week ? Thats bonkers especially as you're doing another 2hrs in the pm ( mma ) ? I'd knock the weights sessions down to a maximum of 3 x a week.

I'm assuming you're doing strength training with big rest periods and thats why it's taking so long. You shouldnt be spending 2 hours in a weight room no matter what you're doing though tbh. Maybe do 2 days a week and split the exercises so you're doing 3 or 4 exercises max on both days.

Sorry dude just rolled back up and read the post again, I'm guessing you're doing some kind of split for building muscle, if so 45 mins to an hour is more than enough no matter what muscle group you're working. As you know though splits aren't ideal for your typical mma fighter but as you're trying to gain muscle I guess it's a priority for you.

Sounds like you're not too sure what you're aiming for atm and just kind of going through the motions, whats more important fitness or gaining a bit of muscle ? Make your decision then focus on that 100% cut out the cardio if muscle is your main goal and make sure you're eating an excess of calories or it'll all be for nothing. You can always get fit later. To be honest even doing strength training and eating fuck loads you would prob add a little muscle anyway and would be better suited for you than doing bodybuilding style workouts.

I've seen people try to build muscle before while still training hard for mma and to be honest it is kind of pointless as you end up expending far too many cals to build muscle through all the mma training. Looking at what you do there I'd guess you'd need about 4-4500 cals possibly even more a day to put any size on as you're doing so much. AndI'm guessing you don't eat that much ?

Like Madmike said it's all about nutrition. I'm sure you know the basics I won't bore you with it all.
    Last edited by Jamie Taylor; 25-07-2010 at 09:48 PM.

I'm trying to build up a bit of muscle and strength at the moment,what basically happened was i stopped doing weights a while back because i was dropping weight for a fight,lost a load of muscle and a load of strength,to go from ww to lw but even when i got to lw i was still quite small and weak,so i decided i'd like to build some muscle and strength because i got my cutting right and realised i'd basically messed up before the way i was doing it.
    The problem i'm finding right now is that when i'm training at night in the mma gym i'm feeling terrible and like my fitness has deserted me,
    I'm eating well taking my protein supplement,vitamins and creatine and eating clean,maybe like you say i'm over doing it,thanks for all your help guys.
    Oh,and the gym thing is pretty much continuous,we'll do set after set so as my friend stops i start and so on,we do go at it real hard,think i might slow it down a bit then!!!

Of course you're performance is going to suffer on a night if you've done 2 hrs of intense weights in the am !!! What do you expect ?

What does your weights routine look like pal ?

If I was u pal I would go along the lines of cutting the weights sesions down on time and aim for Pasific goals, ex getting stronger on deadlifts, squats, weighted pull ups dips and then conditionin things like how many press ups u can to body squats and so on, but set ureself goals body building training like most train in a gym have no place in the cage, the only way u put weight on is in the kitchen calories, and you need to take rest as you feel training to much is worse than to little and with the sleep factor defo need rest, I was the same felt if I was havin a day off I weren't doin enough, madness lol.

Mike
    Last edited by mad mike; 25-07-2010 at 10:03 PM.

my chest routine goes like this
    flat
    3 sets 15 with 40lbs
    3 sets 10 with 70 lbs
    3 sets 5 with 90lbs
    incline same but with 40/60/70
    decline same again with same weights as flat
    then machine flys,same routine,can't remember what weight
    stretch overs with weight was 37lbs/47lbs,only did 15 and 10 sets(bar)
    think that's about it for chest can't remember anything else and that's how i do it for each body part increasing the weight as i decrease the reps,depending on what body part depends how many exercises i do,it on average will take 2 hours to complete with minimal rest as in while my pal is doing his set i'll be resting but must be taking a bit more time rest because that doesn't look 2 hours worth to me.
    i didn't train friday or saturday and played football today and still felt my fitness was shocking though.
    it's not weight i'm aiming to put on,just a bit of muscle really,i'm maintaining my weight at 77kg but can see my body shaping,i've been back weight training a month but i've got pretty good muscle memory so it comes back quite quickly,i'm definately getting stronger,just a though as i've heard this said but could it also have to do with getting more oxygen around the muscles???