Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ground Control 'Beat the Heat' Results!!!!

The under 80 beginners was huge, when called it looked like half the people in the room had moved over to the mats!! Won under 80 intermediate and look forward to advanced next time!!

Quote Originally Posted by staffie View Post
    Hope he chokes on his protein and his t-shirt shrinks!!!!
    Did the winners get free protein??? cause i didnt lol
    LEICESTER SHOOT SOLDIER!!

One way to stop sandbaggers is to have a database of competitors - Should be no problem - it can be taken from the registration list, which should be dated. At least that way it would be known who, and when they have competed at GC. Also, it could be confirmed what the experience actually entails: is it time spent training bjj? - grappling? - Wrestling - Judo? all of the aforementioned? In BJJ an experienced Judo dan grade can enter and compete in a white belt division if he/she hasn’t trained or graded in BJJ!
    Ultimately, it does come down to the integrity of the competitors and their coaches – Competition is about testing your self against others of a similar training experience. Why bother enter a division that is below your skill level – it would be like a blue/purple belt just sparring with white belts on the mat.
    I remember the young lad in question grappling at a UMA tournament back in Dec 2008 – he won his division if I recall correctly!
    Maybe it’s naivety on his behalf –

Quote Originally Posted by Constantinou View Post
    The under 80 beginners was huge, when called it looked like half the people in the room had moved over to the mats!! Won under 80 intermediate and look forward to advanced next time!!

Look forward to competing with you mate, anyone know when the next ground control is gonna be ?

Quote Originally Posted by perrycoleman View Post
    What you gonna do about it...Brother?
    Haha my new forum hero

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Hi Hassan, i think i fought you in the second round?
    You might of been, i cant remember the names of the guys i fought. Were you wearing a manto romulo barral rash, was a pleasure if it was you. was my first no gi comp, had a great time. Hopfully i will mae weight next time and be in under 73kg .

Quote Originally Posted by Constantinou View Post

They did in the Advanced.
    Rob McCrum, Pro BW. www.bjjscotland.co.uk

This situation is unfortunate. Our Kids Division has always been u16s. He will have to be disqualified and the guys moved up. I guess he may have been adviced. In this case I don't think any other punishment is required.

I do believe that you do have to give people benefit of the doubt unless someone has evidence. I was asked by one ref if a guy from my academy was a sandbagger and this competitor has only 8 months experience.

Grappling experience is all grappling arts
    http://twitter.com/groundcontroluk http://www.gcgrappling.com

hmmm sandbagging sucks, and shit sticks now because of this he's going to be labelled as a sandbagger, and fairly so by the sounds of it.

Fantastic event, I had a great time.. Bit gutted I lost to mr duffy in the final but I learnt a hell of a lot too from the day
    The Dungeon Sunderland / Checkmatt BJJ team

Quote Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
    wade stepped up to the mens advanced . great skills and great attitude
    That guy was only 14?? impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Hassan View Post
    You might of been, i cant remember the names of the guys i fought. Were you wearing a manto romulo barral rash, was a pleasure if it was you. was my first no gi comp, had a great time. Hopfully i will mae weight next time and be in under 73kg .
    Yeah that was me, it was a good match and very even, it was my second one as I did the UMA comp a few months ago, I think I'm going to do the intermediate level group next time and see how I get on there, expect I'll get hammered initially but should all be part of the learning. I think you'll do well at u73, all the best for the future comps