Thread: wheres it go ?

Default wheres it go ?

Ok i picked up a strenth routine from fight fit magazine and gave it ago , only ever done wieghts for show before so this was new to me , real simple bread and butter stuff heavy wieghts low reps more sets stuff
    The basics of dead lifts squats bench and id fiddle about with bi's n tri's never found time for shoulders with doing bjj twice a week also
    I was very impressed with the results , im not a big guy 75kg but felt good strenth improvments

But wasnt long before i started getting plauged by back injuries , before long i couldnt even look at a squat or dead lift with out pulling something.
    So went back to more body building wieghts for 2 or 3 weeks , then went on holiday and had about 2 weeks no training at all. Started again this week and ......wow its gone ? Every shread of strenth has just evaporated

So the question is , is strenth a relentless battle that soon as u stop training it it starts to fade or is there a secret to building it up slowly so it stays
    Red Gi yellow Gi cardboard box

I stopped lifting for 5 months when my back went, went back to gym and lifted exactly what i was when i stopped, so to answer your question personally no, im now deading and squating 40 more kilo than i was when i stopped, and havnt been training long, although im smaller my strength has increased, strange but true.

Suppose it depends on individual.

(noticed this is on ask figter forum and im obviously not a fighter sorry)

If you were getting back injuries then there are two common causes are:

1) Having poor technique (it is amazing how many people think they can squat/deadlift but when you actually watch them they have terrible form). Also make sure you use a belt if you are lifting heavy. It is stupid not to.

2) Over-training by doing either squats/deadlifts more than once a week (a stupid thing to do) or doing them too close together during the week (you should have a couple of days apart between doing them).

As for the losing strength issue, I find that I can maintain strength on my lifts if I have a complete week off lifting with no other exercise, and then it disappears on a week to week ratio after that. So, for example, if I have a month off, it will take about 3 weeks to get back to where I was in terms of strength. Most people who lift heavy will tell you there losses are around the same (bearing in mind that some people will lose it quicker/slower than others).

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob kelly View Post
    Ok i picked up a strenth routine from fight fit magazine and gave it ago , only ever done wieghts for show before so this was new to me , real simple bread and butter stuff heavy wieghts low reps more sets stuff
    The basics of dead lifts squats bench and id fiddle about with bi's n tri's never found time for shoulders with doing bjj twice a week also
    I was very impressed with the results , im not a big guy 75kg but felt good strenth improvments

But wasnt long before i started getting plauged by back injuries , before long i couldnt even look at a squat or dead lift with out pulling something.
    So went back to more body building wieghts for 2 or 3 weeks , then went on holiday and had about 2 weeks no training at all. Started again this week and ......wow its gone ? Every shread of strenth has just evaporated

So the question is , is strenth a relentless battle that soon as u stop training it it starts to fade or is there a secret to building it up slowly so it stays

There was a thread on losing strength a while back

http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/s...=strength+lost

i only looked at this quick as im off out, but lifting weights at high strength level will be lost after even 2 weeks of not but you will get it back, this is not me saying i know it all or not saying this is 100% fact, but it is down to training for years and training others in strength lifting