Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nogi Welsh Open 2010

I still don't understand the brackets for these no-gi comps, so if you're a blue belt even if you have been training say 10 years but have done a mix of gi & no gi you could be facing a guy that has just been doing no-gi for 18 months so has no belt but has to go in the blue belt division. It just stands out a bit when someone like Dino is in the blue belt category
    Last edited by Brett; 29-10-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Dino is in the correct category for his experience.

The categories should be pretty easy to understand; if the majority of your training has been in the gi and you are graded in BJJ then you enter that category. If you have trained mostly or all nogi then you enter the appropriate timescale.
    Last edited by Rob T; 29-10-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Dino is in the correct category for his experience.
    Rob I wasn't accusing Dino of sandbagging etc I was just pointing out that the way the brackets in no-gi comps are put together it can result in quite a wide skill gap within the same bracket, saying that though I can't think of a better way to make the brackets so don't know what the solution is or if there is even one needed

I just think the problem is where someone hasn't been graded recently because they've been doing no-gi then enters in a division based on their belt which could in theory not relate to their current skill level, again I'm not saying this applies to Dino but it definitely happened a lot at the British open I.e. David5 who has been training for god knows how many years was in the blue belt bracket competing against some guys who had been just doing no-gi for a couple of years, it's obvious who will win in this scenario
    Last edited by Brett; 29-10-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Rob I wasn't accusing Dino of sandbagging etc I was just pointing out that the way the brackets in no-gi comps are put together it can result in quite a wide skill gap within the same bracket, saying that though I can't think of a better way to make the brackets so don't know what the solution is or if there is even one needed

I just think the problem is where someone hasn't been graded recently because they've been doing no-gi then enters in a division based on their belt which could in theory not relate to their current skill level, again I'm not saying this applies to Dino but it definitely happened a lot at the British open I.e. David5 who has been training for god knows how many years was in the blue belt bracket competing against some guys who had been just doing no-gi for a couple of years, it's obvious who will win in this scenario
    From the horses mouth, Dave has been training 13 months.

http://www.efnsports.com/forum/index...5922#msg105922
    http://www.isaninja.co.uk

Well, no. He's been training 13 months in a gi.

As I recall, he has something like four years of no-gi before that. But I know plenty of blue belts who have way more training than that as well.

Not talking him down, just clarifying the comment you're quoting!

Later!

Oli
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu View Post
    Well, no. He's been training 13 months in a gi.

As I recall, he has something like four years of no-gi before that. But I know plenty of blue belts who have way more training than that as well.

Not talking him down, just clarifying the comment you're quoting!

Later!

Oli
    Thanks for the clarification Oli
    http://www.isaninja.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Oli
    What Oli is saying clarifies the point i'm trying to make, David has 4+ years of No-Gi + over a year of Gi but is then competing on back of his blue belt in No Gi comps where he will have at least 2 years more experience than the No-Gi only guys. That's not me having a go at Dave as he is playing by the rules and i know from rolling with him he's a very good grappler.

I think in a No-Gi comp the belt should be taken out of the equation and it should be solely based on time spent grappling

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    What Oli is saying clarifies the point i'm trying to make, David has 4+ years of No-Gi + over a year of Gi but is then competing on back of his blue belt in No Gi comps where he will have at least 2 years more experience than the No-Gi only guys. That's not me having a go at Dave as he is playing by the rules and i know from rolling with him he's a very good grappler.

I think in a No-Gi comp the belt should be taken out of the equation and it should be solely based on time spent grappling
    i agree, makes a far more even playing field. and probably better fights and expierence for fighters in the process.
    MMA (9-2 8 subs) Sponsored Athlete under Tatami Fight Wear, G&S welterweight champion

Full Results ....anyone?
    CONTROL YOURSELF!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buddha Boy J View Post
    Full Results ....anyone?
    http://www.efnsports.com/forum/index....msg106355#new
    MMA (9-2 8 subs) Sponsored Athlete under Tatami Fight Wear, G&S welterweight champion