Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perception of Muay Thai

Hybrid View

Default Perception of Muay Thai

Hey guys, I'm really interested to find out about peoples perceptions of combat sports (mostly Thai and boxing). I'm doing research about why people don't participate in combat sports and am really interested to find out what you guys think stops people from participating. I've been doing Thai myself for 1.5 year with some boxing, wrestling and BJJ so naturally i have some ideas but i would really like to hear what you guys think of the problem.

IMO there are 4 reasons that a person would not indulge in a martial art...

injury - people get hurt and CAN'T take part

fear- people are afreaid to take part

age- people think they are too old

laziness - people are lazy
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Dont be scared Homie Plastikman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Romeoblood View Post
    IMO there are 4 reasons that a person would not indulge in a martial art...

injury - people get hurt and CAN'T take part

fear- people are afreaid to take part

age- people think they are too old

laziness - people are lazy
    Some people just dont want to learn the most effect way to smash someone.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

people dont like getting punched in the face. you see this in boxing all the time

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    people dont like getting punched in the face. you see this in boxing all the time
    this for the win and god dame truth ... research over lads

people dont want to get "fucked up looking" and especially with mma just think its "brutal" still

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
    Hey guys, I'm really interested to find out about peoples perceptions of combat sports (mostly Thai and boxing). I'm doing research about why people don't participate in combat sports and am really interested to find out what you guys think stops people from participating. I've been doing Thai myself for 1.5 year with some boxing, wrestling and BJJ so naturally i have some ideas but i would really like to hear what you guys think of the problem.
    Are Muay Thai and combat sports in general really under represented with competitors though?

If you're doing research (what for btw?) then surely the first thing you have to look at is what divides combat sports from other sports in terms of participation rate.

Is there a greater ratio of golf fans to golfers than there is kickboxing fans to kick boxers? Once you can prove there is a delta between the ratios is non combat sports to combat sports. Difficult figures to get a hold of probably but the only way you've got a starting point.

I think combat sports may be over subscribed with participants compared to mainstream sports. How many people watch football once a week but don't train or play football then compare that to Muay Thai.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Shrek View Post
    Are Muay Thai and combat sports in general really under represented with competitors though?

If you're doing research (what for btw?) then surely the first thing you have to look at is what divides combat sports from other sports in terms of participation rate.

Is there a greater ratio of golf fans to golfers than there is kickboxing fans to kick boxers? Once you can prove there is a delta between the ratios is non combat sports to combat sports. Difficult figures to get a hold of probably but the only way you've got a starting point.

I think combat sports may be over subscribed with participants compared to mainstream sports. How many people watch football once a week but don't train or play football then compare that to Muay Thai.
    Agreed. With combat sports, I think a greater % of the fan base participate in some form than in other sports.

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

The thing I've seen stopping most people from starting MT was the movie inspired stupid urban legends, like having to kick iron bars to toughen your legs or having to spar full contact in your first class, getting leg kicked till you can't walk (that obviously happens but not right away), stuff like that.

Could it be that the people that don't participate just aren't "into" it? I know lots of people that have absolutely no interest in combat sports, they have no opinion of it other than it's not of interest to them.