Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Olympic Judo Coach discussed Akiyama's throws in MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphydeepheat View Post
    Leben got thrown because he was gassed
    what? Leben was thrown to the ground with ease from round 1 to round 3 (even when Aki was running on fumes). If you are going to be sarcastic you better come up with better examples.

The leg catching thing is some what true ( e.g. you counter hiza garuma by catching the leg) but Pedro over-emphasised this as it is a tech that occurs in kick boxing, muay thai etc.

Aki posture inside the guard was awful but you can't blame that on his judo back ground.

Leben got thrown because he was gassed
    gassed in 1st round????

Well the point about him being gassed is that it's an excuse. Leben was also gassed in the 3rd round he managed to put the triangle on him with zero judo training. I'd hardly say BJJ hogs Judo's credit for the guard, as the author says, when most Judoka can't fight off their back for shit!

Well the point about him being gassed is that it's an excuse. Leben was also gassed in the 3rd round he managed to put the triangle on him with zero judo training. I'd hardly say BJJ hogs Judo's credit for the guard, as the author says, when most Judoka can't fight off their back for shit!

most judoka cant fight off their back for shit?

Stop ignoring the point, MMA fighters train BJJ for their groundfighting, not Judo. So saying things like 'BJJ is hogging credit for Judo techniques in MMA' is idiotic.

Dont be scared Homie Plastikman's Avatar

Who cares what MMA fighters nowaday train in for ground fighting?

Like it or not many of the techniques we see in Bjj came from judo, the point that the article is making is that many fans believe that techniques like the guard, armbar, triangle etc were invented by the Gracies.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by futuregreat View Post
    great read fella , there should be a judo section in this forum imo

TEAM DUKE
    you know you can just sig 'TEAM DUKE' if you want?
    "My whole life is an epic journey man, I mean who else do you know that listens to Enya whilst taking a dump?"

Quote Originally Posted by Plastikman View Post
    Who cares what MMA fighters nowaday train in for ground fighting?

Like it or not many of the techniques we see in Bjj came from judo, the point that the article is making is that many fans believe that techniques like the guard, armbar, triangle etc were invented by the Gracies.
    Actually they come from Jiujitsu if you want to be specific, and probably somewhere else before that, Kano did not invent arm locks or chokes.

I just think the author was way over egging the pudding. Look, one moderately successful fighter does some movies that look like they may have been influenced by Judo, ALL MMA FIGHTERS SHOULD TRAIN JUDO!!! Bit of a jump if you ask me.

Actually they come from Jiujitsu if you want to be specific, and probably somewhere else before that, Kano did not invent arm locks or chokes.

I just think the author was way over egging the pudding. Look, one moderately successful fighter does some movies that look like they may have been influenced by Judo, ALL MMA FIGHTERS SHOULD TRAIN JUDO!!! Bit of a jump if you ask me.
    Agreed that Pedro was trying to hard sell Judo, but I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I think a lot of MMA fighters would benefit from doing judo.

Fusen Ryu Jujitsu gave rise to the ground game in Kodokan Judo, Kosen Judo specifically trained more newaza. BJJ is Kosen Judo/Fusen Ryu Jujitsu.

For the Gracie's to claim they invented the triangle (sangaku jime) or anything else is frankly shocking.

To be honest, most of the time the Brazilian JJ families are usually adept at Kodokan Judo also. Many Gracies hold dan grades in Judo.