Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Olympic Judo Coach discussed Akiyama's throws in MMA.

Have the Gracies ever claimed they invented the triangle choke? I've never seen that.

To be fair even if they did it's only slightly less ludicrous than Judoka claiming techniques that have been around in hundreds of cultures worldwide for millenia are 'Judo techniques'.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphydeepheat View Post
    Have the Gracies ever claimed they invented the triangle choke? I've never seen that.

To be fair even if they did it's only slightly less ludicrous than Judoka claiming techniques that have been around in hundreds of cultures worldwide for millenia are 'Judo techniques'.
    I'm sure Rorion said they rediscovered the sangaku in the 70's. I will find a link when I have a bit more time.

In the meantime read http://blogs.myspace.com/shoshinryu

There's a big beef between Judo players and BJJ players, but it's fairly obvious why. Judo newaza in it's original form is a hair's width off BJJ/GJJ.

Well 'rediscovered' is not 'invented'. I think Rolls was the one who took credit for that, anyway.

Oh well, Kano himself adapted (a cynic would say ripped off) many wrestling techniques, the firemans carry (kata guruma) being the most blatant one. Of course anyone who's ever heard of Pankration would know that the art of choking people unconscious and breaking peoples limbs aren't specific to any one single art. Joint locks and chokes aren't 'Judo techniques'. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphydeepheat View Post
    Well 'rediscovered' is not 'invented'. I think Rolls was the one who took credit for that, anyway.

Oh well, Kano himself adapted (a cynic would say ripped off) many wrestling techniques, the firemans carry (kata guruma) being the most blatant one. Of course anyone who's ever heard of Pankration would know that the art of choking people unconscious and breaking peoples limbs aren't specific to any one single art. Joint locks and chokes aren't 'Judo techniques'. Get over it.
    There's only so many things you can do to a body, they all have two legs, two arms and a trachea. So there's inevitably going to be cross techniques from virtually every part of the globe.

Royce Gracie showed the world exactly what Judo players had known for decades, that newaza was an incredibly important part of fighting. It wasn't a Brazilian invention like a lot of BJJ players seem to think it was, in Europe especially.

Quote Originally Posted by newaza75 View Post
    There's only so many things you can do to a body, they all have two legs, two arms and a trachea. So there's inevitably going to be cross techniques from virtually every part of the globe.

Royce Gracie showed the world exactly what Judo players had known for decades, that newaza was an incredibly important part of fighting. It wasn't a Brazilian invention like a lot of BJJ players seem to think it was, in Europe especially.

agreed, competative judo is 70% tachi waza, ne waza was a under looked aspect of competative judo.....this i think was becouse it was more efficient to score ippon than grapple on the ground for position/submission.

i think it was a good move for the brazilians to explore the ne waza and play with it.....but, doesnt change the fact that it came from traditional japanese jujuitsu/judo.

anybody who thinks BJJ is a brazilian invention needs to be punished with uchi mata, followed by a sequence of juji gatame lol

Quote Originally Posted by dadyJ View Post
    anybody who thinks BJJ is a brazilian invention needs to be punished with uchi mata, followed by a sequence of juji gatame lol

"It's judo"
    "No, it's BJJ"
    waaaaaaa........

Who fucking cares? You will learn how to fight at any good BJJ or judo club, just train what you like and enjoy it.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Yeah, that comment would work if that's what the discussion was about.

Um, that is exactly what the conversation is about.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

I was pointing out that most techniques can't be claimed to have been invented by either. It's not BJJ vs Judo.