Thread: condision shins

Default condision shins

how do you condision your shins so they dont bruise when you clash shins with thai kicks ?

There's no quick way to 'condition' your shins. It takes years to build up the pain tolerance through kicking heavy bags, pads, sparring, knowing which part of the shin to block with and which part to kick with etc.

Just keep kicking bags and pads. I think sparring WITHOUT shinguards is neglected. Even light sparring a couple times a week without them is good as it builds up your awareness and helps with technique.

When people wear shinguards they tend to just throw and blast the kick through without thinking too much about it but it's a different story when kicking without them.
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post

Just keep kicking bags and pads. I think sparring WITHOUT shinguards is neglected. Even light sparring a couple times a week without them is good as it builds up your awareness and helps with technique.
    I agree

in our gym we only use shinnies for heavy sparring

my shins are very rarely bruised/sore, and I've only been training for about 6 months
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

same here ~ if you want any thing to be hard then its a case of pounding the heavy bags and getting over the pain.

Also rub some Thai Oil in after training - helps with brusing - when your body is used to the impact you wont feel the pain and get less injuries

hit the heavy bag and thai pads as much as you can. Hit the heavy bag low down where it is most dense.

Do NOT wear shin pads to kick the bag or pads.

That's about it. No big secret.

Quote Originally Posted by futuregreat View Post
    how do you condision your shins so they dont bruise when you clash shins with thai kicks ?

Done 19 years of Thai n this is all that worked for me -

Kicking the Thai pads = you will no doubt do this in class.

But on top of what you do for regular training you should work the heavy bag at least twice a week, and vary the ammount to which you rotate your shin to target all areas.
    eg) Turn the hip right over (30 kicks right n left), Slice the kick up (30 kicks right n left) Horizontal roundkick (3o kicks right n left) then 10 hard as you can with each leg any variation (whatever your best shot is to round it off to 100 kicks per leg).
    - Straight after, get a rolling pin or anything of similar shape (don't twat your shins like I use to do - not good long term.....Seriously!) and roll it up and down your shins 25 up n down pressing as hard as you can take without causing pain. Do this twice a week, preferably on none training days n you will notice a difference.
    For damaged shins or to aid recuperation - if just pain = hot bath n Ibuprofin gel.
    If swollen = Cold compress for an hour, day after ibuprofin gel.

If you can work with a co-operative partner who has the same goals, you can get some old school Karate shin n instep guards (which will not protect you) n work up gradually.

Don't be impatient, you should see solid gains in a 4-6 months.
    Last edited by War; 05-11-2010 at 01:34 AM.

leave kitchen equipment alone

kick pads
    kick heavy bag

repeat as much as humanly possible

=

tough shins

(all on the assumption you can kick properly etc and are using the shin)

the end

I've heard about Thai Fighters training their shins to an extent that they end up with tiny fractures. These fractures only come to light when they are competing and their leg snaps.

How much is too much?

pads and heavy bag are more than adequate,maybe a tire if there really conditioned.but under no circumstances use a rolling pin,glass bottle etc as this can cause chips to the shin bone which arnt good.ive done mt for nearly 16 years and i found out the hard way about the whole rolling pin idea.ive been to some of thailands best camps and never once saw those methods being practiced.unfortunately conditioned shins arnt something you can rush,it comes with time,and lots of it!! so get the sessions in and try and kick equal times on each leg every day if you can (thais will do in excess off nearly a 1000 kicks a day....on each leg).dont look for a fast fix though,itll mess you up in the long run