Thread: weight cut for first fight

Default weight cut for first fight

i will be looking to fight next year around feb or march and need to lose 10 kg, im a pretty stocky lad, big chest big legs and seriously need to lose weight without losing power... any killer workout ideas? cheers

Cutting weight generally means short term weight loss, sweating out water weight before a weigh in. You don't need to cut weight at this stage, you need to lose weight.

What's your training like and what is your diet like?

Just want to make the point that you don't need to lose 10kg unless you are carrying quite a bit of fat. Is it possible to lose muscle mass without losing strength and power? Probably not.

Try to get your body fat % measured to give you some idea if 10kg is advisable.

For me personally losing weight is more about calarific intake and eating the right foods than it is about training hard, although that obviously helps!

Cut out junk food/takeaways from your diet 6 days a week, drink at least 8 pints of water a day, don't eat too much in the way of carbs and make sure the carbs you do eat are complex (brown rice/wholemeal pasta etc), try to only comsume simple sugers straight after a workout, eat plenty of veg, and only drink infrequently and when you do stick to spirits with a diet mixer rather than beer or cider.

I agree with the above. It is best to look at how much body fat you're carrying. You've got til next year so there's no massive rush.
    It would also help to know what weight you are at the moment. For example, if you're cutting from 110kg down to 100kg with a bit of extra baggage it will be easier to get there than say 90kg down to 80kg with a small amount of fat without losing power.

It sounds like you're trying to cut down to fighting weight. It's worth remembering that a lot of fighters cut most of the weight in the last week before a fight. A lot of guys walk around a fair bit heavier than what they weigh in at. For example, I saw Jimmy Wallhead a couple of weeks before his Bellator fight and he looked massive (not fat) so it's not so much about cutting down to the weight you want to fight at but a weight where you can cut to the fighting weight without draining yourself. If that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by who.dares.wins View Post
    i will be looking to fight next year around feb or march and need to lose 10 kg, im a pretty stocky lad, big chest big legs and seriously need to lose weight without losing power... any killer workout ideas? cheers
    what gym do you train at?
    If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle, The mind is like a parachute -- it works best when it is open." - Rickson Gracie