Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combinations/distance

Hybrid View

Default Combinations/distance

When fighting someone, when doing combinations do you try to aim to land all punches for example, jab, straight, cross would you aim to land all 3 punches or if trying to find range or fighting someone with longer reach would you use the 1-2 as punches aimed at target or there hands just as a way of getting in closer and then landing the hook?

Always aim to hit the target.

A hook is less than half the range of a jab or cross, its an inside shot so you would need to move in before you throw it.
    I will chuck a few jabs to test peoples guards to see how far they bring the hand out to block the jab. If they bring it out to far enough I will then throw a left hook and step in straigh after i have thrown the jab, if that makes sense.

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

the jab is your range finder and for probing mate use it as a reference for aiming your combos

Generally speaking if the jab doesn't land then the cross wont and the hook definitely wont.

Quote Originally Posted by scrappymma View Post
    Generally speaking if the jab doesn't land then the cross wont and the hook definitely wont.
    But if you notice the guy always takes just a single step back when you attack, next time you step in with the jab and step in again with the right hand. The jab is likely to miss, but the right hand will hit something.

Gary 'Smiler' Turner
    Pro Fighter

Hi,

Just make sure that every technique has a purpose...

Best regards,

Smiler

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
    Hi,

Just make sure that every technique has a purpose...

Best regards,

Smiler
    thanks gary, did some training with tommy b the other week, he said about coming to join in one of your sparring sessions sometime, would be good if could join you accasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerPlata View Post
    But if you notice the guy always takes just a single step back when you attack, next time you step in with the jab and step in again with the right hand. The jab is likely to miss, but the right hand will hit something.
    I did say generally speaking!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by newone View Post
    When fighting someone, when doing combinations do you try to aim to land all punches for example, jab, straight, cross would you aim to land all 3 punches or if trying to find range or fighting someone with longer reach would you use the 1-2 as punches aimed at target or there hands just as a way of getting in closer and then landing the hook?
    There isn't a simple answer to this post. There are many variables involved such as :- how quick you are, how slow they are, how easy or hard they are to hit, as well as are you trying to hit them or set up a particular punch. Some combinations are designed to feel somone out. Some people never throw a shot more than 80% effort but look to be accurate.

From what I have experienced, it is harder to land combinations or punches in MMA on someone because they have more options in comparison to when you are sparring kickboxing for example. People tend to be very reactive and also stay away more (Unless very experienced or over confident).

I think you should work realistic combinations on pads, bags and then apply them in sparring and note what works and what doesn't, and on who and then thinkn about why it worked, what were you trying to do? I know people who have great timing who can land a jab at will but lack the ability to follow up with anything else. Train hard and train smart.
    If you put a limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.