Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Belts?

As far as I can see, its subjective & that's fine by me.

I can understand why an instructor would want to hold off on giving any belt.
    There's guys who I train with who would certainly have a blue belt if they trained elsewhere. That's just how it is.

My own opinion of the standard expected has also been skewed due to comps. By that I mean I tend to think of the best guys at comps being near to a blue, when it may be the case that they've deserved a promotion for a while.

Just my non elite opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    lol think you'll need to go to a few more sessions than a single Royce seminar.
    lol... it's common knowledge that Royce gives out blues like it's going out of fashion.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

According to their website, both My former trad bjj instructors are certified bjj blue belts having attended a seminar with Carlos Valente.

Quote Originally Posted by daddybaresi View Post
    My own opinion of the standard expected has also been skewed due to comps. By that I mean I tend to think of the best guys at comps being near to a blue, when it may be the case that they've deserved a promotion for a while.
    I doubt people are being held back to win white belt comps... if they are their instructors really need to have higher goals.

Fact is that some people are just good competitors and will win lots of comps even without being much technically better than their opponents.

I am about 7-8 months into training and I am still a white belt which is where I feel I really should be as I still need to learn quite a bit more before I would consider worthy of a blue belt. Sure if Ze thought I was at the level of blue I would not question it, but I really can't see that at all at this present time as we have quite a high level of blues. My game at the moment during sparring is focusing on survival and escapes and I want to get as best and solid as I can there

I don't want to speak for anyone else as getting graded in BJJ is a huge accomplishment, but I am keeping it on the sidelines in my training. I also see that some people are at quite different levels within belts. Their are some guys that I train with who I know are going to smash me and then others guys at the same belt level as the guy who just tied me up that are going to find me a bit of a handful.

Its even more pronounced in Judo where there is a more defined grading system for all, esp in the BJA. Here I found that I was not that strong at remembering Japanese terms and sometimes would have to shrug my shoulders as I could not remember the difference between a Deashi Harai or a Kosoto Gari during a grading. Other people were steam rolling ahead of me in belt promotions as they were more academic and spent a lot of time doing homework. However when it came to Randori I loved it and I would do quite well for myself, whereas a few of the academic types who had moved through belts at a fast pace would try to avoid be paired up with me and struggle with the full contact nature of Randori.

So I suppose what I am trying to say is that even if there was a universal grading system used by all as with Judo, you would still find people would be a different levels within the same belt.

I think its ideal as it is and should be left up to the coach to decide when you reach the mark. When I get there I know it will mean a lot more to me then it did for remembering Jigoro Kanos birth date and knowing how to tie a belt.
    Last edited by LukeH; 20-11-2010 at 11:10 AM.

lol... it's common knowledge that Royce gives out blues like it's going out of fashion.
    Dident you say you got yours after 8 months? and purple pretty fast aswell?
    but thats was 2007 so 3 years catch up kinda evens it out. When IBJFF says its 1.5 years min Purple-Brown.

I think Royce would do the same I would be honoured to accept a grade off a Gracie/founder/pioneer more so than anyone else

but look at some of the bigger teams... look at how many brown/ black belts they have and look at how long they have been running?? most only have an handful yet have lots of whites, purples blues winning medals? wonder why this is?.. you cou;d say becuase of drop outs? etc etc yet they have an awful lots of winning lower grades hummmmmmmmm.
    Last edited by rjd; 20-11-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

some of the blue belts Royce gave out at seminars were ridiculous
    Yo Rashad - do you want fries with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    some of the blue belts Royce gave out at seminars were ridiculous
    Agreed. He give a blue if you can demonstrate the absolute basics, apparently higher belts are totally different and they actually mean something.
    Rob McCrum, Pro BW. www.bjjscotland.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by staffie View Post
    Agreed. He give a blue if you can demonstrate the absolute basics, apparently higher belts are totally different and they actually mean something.
    Wow, that's not good. Can understand him giving stripes for this but not a blue.

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    Dident you say you got yours after 8 months? and purple pretty fast aswell?
    but thats was 2007 so 3 years catch up kinda evens it out. When IBJFF says its 1.5 years min Purple-Brown.

I think Royce would do the same I would be honoured to accept a grade off a Gracie/founder/pioneer more so than anyone else

but look at some of the bigger teams... look at how many brown/ black belts they have and look at how long they have been running?? most only have an handful yet have lots of whites, purples blues winning medals? wonder why this is?.. you cou;d say becuase of drop outs? etc etc yet they have an awful lots of winning lower grades hummmmmmmmm.
    IBJJF times are guidelines, not absolute minimums.

It's well known that Royce gives out blues very easily. If you go to one of his seminars and have been training over a year you will pretty much defo get one. That said, I think it's less well known that it's very tough to get purple, brown or black off him. I think a lot of Brazilians don't worry too much about giving out blues because they probably don't see it as that big a deal.

The oldest teams in the UK are only, what, 15 years old? There shouldn't be many browns and blacks. Braulio has only recently got to the point where he has guys regularly getting browns... and still only 2 black belts... which sounds right to me.

I don't really know what your overall point is about lower grades winning... ??