Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Muay Thai gyms in Thailand

this is what they won apparently anyway...

The gym recieved a fame award from the Professional
    Boxing Association of Thailand (P.A.T) and the World Professional Muay Thai
    Federation proclaimed the gym as the Best Training Camp 2010, nominated by the
    president of The Professional Boxing Association of Thailand
    (P.A.T).

Quote Originally Posted by maz View Post
    dragon gym in phuket??? yeah, they have produced so many stadium fighters
    why the sarcastic comment? did i not say go to bangkok? thats right, yes i did.

sarcastic coz im not sure how it could win gym of the year for thai's...tourists maybe and thats not a dig actually, my friend spent quite a bit of time at dragon gym and loved it, the facilities were spot on apparently and the training was good for people of a beginner level with lots of one on one time, decent trainers and plenty of room to train in and it was clean, welcoming and friendly. so yes, on that score maybe its worthy, but top training and production of stadium fighters doing well in the ranks isnt something you would associate with it! im not knocking it, if i was gonna train in phuket i would go there or sinbi based on recomendations
    Marianne.

Team Phoenix

I am at 13 Coins at the moment with 4 of my guys, 1 other of my guys has been at Jittis for the past 5 weeks and is staying as Jitti has got him fights, plus he has been there before and is Jittis friend.

Every Gym has Pros and Cons, Jitti's is busy at the moment but Jitti and Waterachai are taking care of Matt and preparing him for his upcoming fights.

13 Coins has a great atmoshpere, is bigger than Jittis (4 rings)and personally i prefer it for my guys at the moment. There is a professional work ethic here amongst the Thai fighters and they all have time for the westerners here, taking time to clinch, spar and show techniques

I have made good friends with the trainers and also the owner at 13 Coins Mr Somchai and have been shown nothing but kindness and typical Thai generosity, it may be because i have a Thai Wife and thats why i seem to get more respect from the Thai's than in other Thai Gyms i have been to.
    I can converse in basic Thai plus i show awareness of Thai Customs and respect showing defference to elders, Mr Somchai etc at the Gym.
    All this has gone a long way with the guys here and as a result i am treated very well.

I have a house in Nong Khai North Eastern Thailand and have travelled throughout Thailand over the years, my father in law is an ex trainer and has taken me to some unknown village gyms to watch the training etc.

All i can say is there are thousands of gyms all over Thailand, some will cater for non Thais, some wont even entertain it. In my experience there are no bad gyms, some are greedy for Farang cash, some pad man and trainers are lazy, if our there for 2 weeks just enjoy it whatever gym your at you may learn just 1 good thing that you can remember and help you in Muay Thai - 6+ months then travel a bit.
    If you want to have stadium fights then head to Bangkok gyms. If you want a tourist fight then go to Phuket.
    only one will come back and that will be me!
    www.thaiboxingwales.com

Quote Originally Posted by maz View Post
    sarcastic coz im not sure how it could win gym of the year for thai's...tourists maybe and thats not a dig actually, my friend spent quite a bit of time at dragon gym and loved it, the facilities were spot on apparently and the training was good for people of a beginner level with lots of one on one time, decent trainers and plenty of room to train in and it was clean, welcoming and friendly. so yes, on that score maybe its worthy, but top training and production of stadium fighters doing well in the ranks isnt something you would associate with it! im not knocking it, if i was gonna train in phuket i would go there or sinbi based on recomendations
    its fair to say they havent really had a chance to produce stadium fighters, only been open about 2 years nearly, plenty of kids there training tho

either way i agree, its an award written in english for a start! im sure there is a thai one kicking around and 13 coins has prob got it

its a made up pointless award - like your local curry house which has the 'restaurant of the year' on its wall

the current sportswriters gym of the year is WorWiwatananon...

the awards for 2010 are end of December....

so it means nothing....