Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slamming to escape submissions or guard?

Default Slamming to escape submissions or guard?

Is this viewed by many as a legitimate technique?

Is it ever effective?

Only asking as I see it's against the rules for neaxt years ground control tournaments. Is this usually the case for competitions?

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

Slamming out of submissions and guard is not allowed under IBJJF rules.

ADCC rules allow slamming to escape submissions but not guard if I recall correctly.

The Gracie Academy have ran tournaments that have allowed both.

It depends on the organisers but most of the time they're not allowed. It's often viewed as a cheap technique and is frowned upon but it can work. Learning to deal with slams is good for MMA and dare I say street application of BJJ.
    Last edited by Allan Shrek; 26-11-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Why are they frowned upon? Are they in the same league as heel hooks and bicep slicers in terms of their danger? Perhaps I'm being naive but I don't see slamming as being that much worse than being on the receiving end of a full bore Judo throw.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Why are they frowned upon? Are they in the same league as heel hooks and bicep slicers in terms of their danger? Perhaps I'm being naive but I don't see slamming as being that much worse than being on the receiving end of a full bore Judo throw.
    Can be dangerous, and is especially dangerous in absolute bouts where there might be a huge weight diff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Is this viewed by many as a legitimate technique?

Is it ever effective?

Only asking as I see it's against the rules for neaxt years ground control tournaments. Is this usually the case for competitions?
    It is "nearly" always against the rules in BJJ - It can work, but it can, if the guy can ride out the slam, allow your opponent to deepen a submission (especially a triangle).

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

There's been a few videos of boys in grappling comps getting ended in Rampage Vs Arona esque slams out of submissions. They can and do KO boys.

As do Judo throws but throws are considered technical and with due cause, slams out of subs/guard on the other hand play into the hands of meat heads, especially at lower belts and eliminates a lot of the technical part of the game. Or at least that's the theory.

IMO slamming out of subs such as triangles etc should probably be allowed, they can easily release it if they dont want to be slammed. But then you get into that 'was it or wasnt it a spike' debate so it's prob best left as it is with no slams.

Is this a slam or a spike ? I saw it from a different angle and Chris seemed to land on his shoulder / upper back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7y1penYDU - skip to 2min 15.

Poor Esy, has only been doing jiu-jitsu a month ( high level wrestler and judo black belt though ) and wasn't fully aware of the rules. Did well to get silver after being disqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Shrek View Post
    slams out of subs/guard on the other hand play into the hands of meat heads
    I like slams as they are one of the few things that I'm good at. I am also probably what most people would regard as a meathead lol.

there was a grappling tournament where one of levo's guys got slammed unconscious (while attempting a triangle with no hooked leg i think). was pretty brutal iirc
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

double post
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer