Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top 10 Differences Between BJJ and Judo

Quote Originally Posted by shaiz View Post
    If anyone want more background info on it, the rules changes came about as a result of Tuvshinbayar Naidan winning gold for Mongolia in the -100kg cat of the Beijing Olympics. He won most of his fights by various leg grabs and it seems some higher powers weren't too happy about that. Personally I think its a crap rule change, they should've just evolved the curriculum to put more emphasis on being able to sprawl to avoid such takedowns. Only one positive I can see from it is for small/light guys as gradings are all open weight so there's arguably slightly less chance of them just being overpowered by someone stronger than them that may not have great technique.

As a footnote, the rules around leg grabs are going to be stricter next year, if its deemed illegal then it'll be a straight DQ rather than the current system of a warning first.
    just googled him and i enjoy his style..... infact, it's pretty much what i'd do if i was allowed
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

Quote Originally Posted by shaiz View Post
    If anyone want more background info on it, the rules changes came about as a result of Tuvshinbayar Naidan winning gold for Mongolia in the -100kg cat of the Beijing Olympics. He won most of his fights by various leg grabs and it seems some higher powers weren't too happy about that. Personally I think its a crap rule change, they should've just evolved the curriculum to put more emphasis on being able to sprawl to avoid such takedowns. Only one positive I can see from it is for small/light guys as gradings are all open weight so there's arguably slightly less chance of them just being overpowered by someone stronger than them that may not have great technique.

As a footnote, the rules around leg grabs are going to be stricter next year, if its deemed illegal then it'll be a straight DQ rather than the current system of a warning first.
    i was told that 1 reason moves like the double leg were taken out was due to alot of injury being cause, people getting slamed off the matts or into the audience. Any truth to this? I guese its possible

Guess that may be possible but I don't think so given that you are still allowed to utilise every form of leg grab, just that they now have to be part of a counter. Also I doubt there's any higher incidence of injury due to single/double leg takedowns than any other throw.

yehh prob right, shame bout the rule changes but still an awsome fast paced sport non the less