Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Differences Between BJJ and Judo

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Judo is cooler than BJJ IMO. Mainly because when everyone else thinks something is cool, it becomes uncool by default.
    Exactly my point. You think judo is cool and you do BJJ

As I've said in a thread before "It's not the Art that fails its the man" its the same in every sport you get your good guys and your bad ones....Some people pick skills up faster than others and some people its like peeing against the wind teaching them I've trained Judo for over 30yrs and have fought all over the world with British Team and there are so many standards!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    There is a massive difference in the quality between one judo BB and another, some struggle to throw me and can do nothing with me on the ground whereas others seem to throw me at will and are a handfull on the ground, particulally when it comes to appplying chokes!! The same applies to some of the coloured belts, some of the players are great others cant seem to make things work in randori.

Whereas with BJJ the belts seem to match the skill of the person much more closley, every time I have rolled with a BJJ BB I have felt amazing pressure, fantastic movement, seemless transitions, submission etc.
    Surely that's just because of the grading differences. I bet if you're a new BJJ Black Belt you'd have a similar experience rolling with other BJJ Black belts. You might be able to beat some other BBs but then again, when you're rolling with a World champion, he just seems so much better than you despite having the same belt!

One thing I noticed with Judo (I think possibly due to the grading system again and the fact that Judo seems to be aimed more at converting kids into olympians) is that quite a few of the experienced people (especially the oldies) seemed happy to not really progress. It feels in BJJ like everyone is really trying hard to get better all the time.

as i have a local judo club, i'm hoping to go down and see what it's like. i certainly enjoy it, and it will be fun to see how my wrestling transfers.

double and single leg takedowns are allowed in judo right?
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

From what I've been told, the rule in judo have changed so you cannot immediately shoot of a single or double leg, apparently you have to attempt of throw before doing it - or I may be spouting out shite!

Quote Originally Posted by daspecimen View Post
    as i have a local judo club, i'm hoping to go down and see what it's like. i certainly enjoy it, and it will be fun to see how my wrestling transfers.

double and single leg takedowns are allowed in judo right?

Yeah, unfortunately you're no longer allowed to grab the leg as an attack or use your hand to block your opponents leg. If someone comes in to attack you are allowed to sweep there leg up then grab it and sweep their standing leg though. In the club its unlikely anyone will mind you going for the odd leg take though, I haven't met many people hat prefer the new rules. Also, in competition it seems a real grey area, some refs will let you get away with it a lot more than others especially if you make at least some effort to make it look like you've gone for a sweep first.

Edited to add, I'm pretty sure in competition your first penalty for grabbing the leg is a warning as opposed to a score for your opponent so its pretty easy to gauge how strict the ref is on it without loosing points.
    Last edited by shaiz; 30-11-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Great thread. Thanks for the insight.
    P.S. The grabbing leg rule personally to me seems incredibly over complicated and un-needed.
    Last edited by Wiegieboard; 30-11-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    No longer playing World of Warcraft. Goodbye fond memories
    FUCK THE ALLIANCE

reading the new rules it does seem they are messing with it just for the sake of it. no doubles, singles or even firemans....... poor.

still gonna give it a go though
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

If anyone want more background info on it, the rules changes came about as a result of Tuvshinbayar Naidan winning gold for Mongolia in the -100kg cat of the Beijing Olympics. He won most of his fights by various leg grabs and it seems some higher powers weren't too happy about that. Personally I think its a crap rule change, they should've just evolved the curriculum to put more emphasis on being able to sprawl to avoid such takedowns. Only one positive I can see from it is for small/light guys as gradings are all open weight so there's arguably slightly less chance of them just being overpowered by someone stronger than them that may not have great technique.

As a footnote, the rules around leg grabs are going to be stricter next year, if its deemed illegal then it'll be a straight DQ rather than the current system of a warning first.

Has anyone ever seen what a really good judoka does to a really good BJJ blackbelt????

BJJ black belt tries to take it to the ground and the judoka helps him! by slamming him on his face and getting back up.

I watched a vid of a judoka fight a BJJ guy at World games in Las vegas and the BJJ guy couldnt deal with the grip fighting and execution of throws.

the judo guy got back up after every throw and kept going! throw after throw after throw!

BJJ is great when it hits the floor......but a good judoka wont let that happen