Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you train at an academy that didn't have regular no gi classes?

Hybrid View

Default Would you train at an academy that didn't have regular no gi classes?

Just curious about whether no gi is really important to most BJJ players?

One of the first things I look for on a BJJ timetable is regular no gi classes. Is this a dealbreaker for anyone else, or are most BJJers happy enough training purely in the gi?

Yes. I can practice nogi in a gi class... I can't do it the other way around though.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Just curious about whether no gi is really important to most BJJ players?

One of the first things I look for on a BJJ timetable is regular no gi classes. Is this a dealbreaker for anyone else, or are most BJJers happy enough training purely in the gi?
    Would always want the option of doing both, I train in both & teach both.

My school has no no-gi classes. Does it bother me? Not really. It would be cool if we did, but we don't, so I don't worry about it. And why don't I worry about it? Because when I've travelled and trained both gi and no-gi, I've held my own. Sure it's taken a little bit of adjustment in terms of grips, but I don't play a gi dependent game anyway. In fact, I'd actually say my no-gi game is better then my gi, as I love using the Darce and guillotine, and the gi tends to hamper those attacks.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tapsalot View Post
    but I don't play a gi dependent game anyway.
    Interesting. Is that a conscious decision or is it something that comes naturally? I figured that if you trained soley in a gi then your game would naturally be gi dependent? I have seen a number of pretty decent gi players really struggle when rolling no gi.

Whenever I've trained in a gi I was always trying to figure out how I'd manage the same technique without one. Even when the instructor would be showing a technique, in the back of my mind I was always trying to mentally adapt my grips to no gi. It probably annoyed the fuck out of whoever I was drilling with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Interesting. Is that a conscious decision or is it something that comes naturally?
    It's just come naturally really. I've never been a spider guard player, my game is much more a passing game concentrating on the double underhooks pass, which translates pretty well into no-gi. And even though I love collar chokes, I generally attack those from the back, so switching that mindset to attacking the RNC when doing no-gi is very natural and straightforward.

James

I already do.
    portuguesewhitebelt.blogspot.com

Same as james I train 0 no gi and still compete and do pretty OK at no-gi. I too am not a spider guard type player. More a top game.

I visit an MMA club for some no gi when it takes my fancy. However, on the whole I don't like rolling about with sweaty naked men, so I'm not that fussed about no gi. I run a no-gi session at my judo club 4-5 times per year, which is just enough for the guys to dip their toes.

Quote Originally Posted by bomberh View Post
    I run a no-gi session at my judo club 4-5 times per year, which is just enough for the guys to dip their toes.
    Is that no gi Judo? I think Judo has really missed the opportunity to take advantage of what it can bring to the MMA table.