Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would you train at an academy that didn't have regular no gi classes?

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    Im sure that 'a judo player' has beaten 'a wrestler'.

But at similar levels eg international, it will be a rarity.

Under wrestling rules and wearing a gay leotard the judo might lose. Wearing clothing like normal people and allowing submissions the result might well be different.

Quote Originally Posted by bomberh View Post
    Under wrestling rules and wearing a gay leotard the judo might lose. Wearing clothing like normal people and allowing submissions the result might well be different.
    Might?

A wrestler competing in the realms of his own sport might lose and the judoka who is competing in a differant sport might win? the odds are stacked against imo.

If i where to say that a wrestler would beat a judoka in judo i'd be laughed off here. Something to think about.

Lol @ wearing clothes like normal people.

I've never seen a properly applied sankaku jime drawn onto Etruscan pottery.
    The 'properly applied' part makes that difficult, but there are a few interesting examples in this guy's thesis on grappling history. E.g., this:

Although admittedly this is a mosaic rather than pottery, and rather later than the Etruscans.

The reference he has in the thesis is "Roman mosaic from the baths at Gightis, 3rd century AD. Tunis, Bardo National Museum. G. Fradier, Mosa´ques Romaines de Tunisie, 5th ed. (Tunis 1994), p. 138"

Leg attacks are still allowed as combinations and counters.

Further, the comment on the Russians cleaning house is incorrect. At the Beijing Olympics Russia never even made it onto the medal table. Japan comprehensively dominated, followed by China and Korea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo_at...ummer_Olympics

The idea of a win for a 25 second pin is actually more combat realistic than you might think. A 25 second pin free from your opponents legs gives sufficient time to finish an opponent with ground and pound or the samurai days to draw a blade, and kill you opponent.
    Missed this comment..

The picture of how it was painted to me by someone that knows more about judo than i, and probabally more than most people to be fair -

Leg attacks have been ommitted beacuse eastern europeans had that bent over style and attacked legs, eg double legs, firemans carry. Legs attacks were seen by some as being 'ugly judo'. So they where taken away and the japanese style was adopted i.e a more up right posture and spectator friendly as the throwing techniques are often 'cleaner' from this position.

You talk about judo pinning being realistic? -
    The sport has become badly diluted. The realistic nature of the sport becomes less and less with every rule chance and its all about the spectator and participation levels and not the pureness of the sport as it once was imho.

Also, there is no ground n pound in judo, its adopted in mma which is of course 'no gi' which could be argued that a wrestling technique was employed to get him there, not judo. After all it is the oldest sport known to man and judo was spawned from it..

The wrestler who was a Russian names Uri Nage, beat him with a suplex. After that the the suplex was always known as Uri nage in honour of the Great Uri of Russia.
    26 years of judo & you actually think that's what the throw is called?

I dont have 26 years of judo experience but from my days of doing judo as a teenager even I know the throw is called URA nage & it means rear throw. It's nothing to do with a Russian.
    Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, a great big greedy nincompoop!!

Your sarcasm detector seems to be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_langford View Post
    Wrestler got fucked up!
    when Yoshida and Barnett fought though it was the other way round! (admittedly MMA - but there's a brilliant .gif of Barnett reversing one of Yoshida's throws)
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Gloop View Post
    26 years of judo & you actually think that's what the throw is called?

I dont have 26 years of judo experience but from my days of doing judo as a teenager even I know the throw is called URA nage & it means rear throw. It's nothing to do with a Russian.
    Yeah and "Kano named Uri Nage after a Russian called Uri". Seriously, even after 10 rounds of thai boxing followed by a major P*ss up my sarcasm detector would still spot that one.

Hi, first post!

Just thought I'd jump in and say, I like it that throws like Morote Gari are now banned and would earn Hansukomake. I dont know why, I just didnt like the throw. And I know a few people who won round after round in comps just shooting for the legs. When they took the leg attacks away, those people really had to learn to break balance and attack properly. Someone I know, a very strong 1st Kyu has won a few tournaments in the past with morote garis. He has a good understanding of techniques but put him into shiai or even randori and he has such a problem grip fighting and breaking balance that he seldom manages to pull off throws like seois and koshi waza.
    Hence now he is struggling to get points for his dan grade.

Leg attacks are still very much alive in tachi waza, as bomberh said as counters or combinations. They are super useful if you use the opportunities wisely. I still dont to be honest and need to make my awareness of leg attacking opportunities better, but its there all the same.

The difference leg wise though is that in Ne-waza competition within the BJA, leg locks are not allowed as submissions. But leg work IS allowed in movement and osaekomi etc.

Hi second post!

Just thought Id add, I think a wrestler is far more used to grappling without a gi and that would work in his favour. Put him in a gi and of course he would be totally lost against the control and maniuplation of a judoka with a gi to grip.
    But, yes without, to a judoka who never fights without a gi, they would need to think from scratch about where they would hold for throws. Im sure they would work it out soon enough though. If you find a good grip to break balance and throw with uchi mata, you'd do it. I doubt the wrestler would defend against it would they? I dont know much about wrestling admittedly.

One thing to think of though. Judoka are very very good at avoiding landing on their backs. And when they throw someone, they should be ending up in an advantageous position.
    Whenever I have watched a good judoka in MMA, even when they get thrown, they seem to land on top.