Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you train at an academy that didn't have regular no gi classes?

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Is that no gi Judo? I think Judo has really missed the opportunity to take advantage of what it can bring to the MMA table.
    Yeah I teach no gi Judo. We'll do a couple of weeks no gi training maybe twice per year. We also do striking training, practicing throws vs an opponent wearing 16oz gloves trying to knock you out. Again this only amounts to 5% - 10% of the clubs training time.

I enjoy both I find nogi easier though
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

lol @ nogi judo. everyone else calls that wrestling
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

I rarely train nogi, my gi game is heavily focused on lapel, collar and sleeve grips yet I don't find it difficult to switch to nogi at all. All the fundamentals are the same.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Just curious about whether no gi is really important to most BJJ players?
    The place I train at the moment doesn't have no gi classes (though IIRC people from RGA Bucks have competed and done well in nogi), but I'm perfectly happy with just gi. I most likely wouldn't attend even if they did have no-gi classes, as it isn't something I particularly enjoy. Unless that was the only class I could make that week (which is why I did occasionally pop along to the no-gi sessions when I was at GB Brum and RGA HQ).

Why don't you enjoy no gi Slideyfoot? My only reservation about training no gi is that I assume it to carry a far greater threat of picking up staph etc. Other than that I love it.

Why don't you enjoy no gi Slideyfoot?
    I think like judo, I feel like I don't have much control over what's happening, especially as I can't slow down the pace. I really like the handles and additional friction you get from the gi. I also worry more about injuries in both judo and no-gi, due to that faster pace (or at least, it seems faster to me: your mileage may vary), particularly what seems to be the greater likelihood of leg locks, neck cranks etc when sparring no-gi.

Of course, that's also because I haven't done much judo or no-gi: no doubt I'd feel a lot more comfortable in both if I had several years consistently training judo and no-gi.

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    lol @ nogi judo. everyone else calls that wrestling
    Why would a guy with 26 years of Judo experience and zero wrestling experience call his judo techniques "wrestling" just because a gi is not being worn?

Where in Greco Roman, Free Style, Folk Style or Kurash do they teach Ude Hishigi Juji Gatame, Sankaku Jime, Tsubame Gaeshi etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bomberh View Post
    Why would a guy with 26 years of Judo experience and zero wrestling experience call his judo techniques "wrestling" just because a gi is not being worn?

Where in Greco Roman, Free Style, Folk Style or Kurash do they teach Ude Hishigi Juji Gatame, Sankaku Jime, Tsubame Gaeshi etc etc...
    agree with Bomberth, if thats the case isn't no-gi BJj just wrestling...subs in judo too remember

^^2p worth..

No gi = all types of grappling..i like the term submission wrestling
    Last edited by The Natural; 02-12-2010 at 12:59 PM.