Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a belt?

Quote Originally Posted by jackmcd View Post
    Err, no I'm not. My name's Jack McDonald, I'm a blue belt under Prof Reubens (BTT, Rio De Janeiro, 2008). I compete semi-regularly and I spend more time on the mats than forums, hence the three post count. I use exactly the same username on efn if you'd like to check. The guy asked for opinions and comments and I gave them.

Jack, welcome to the forum mate.

No need to spend too much time explaining yourself. A minority of people will question your belt and post count rather than considering the actual content of your posts, the bulk however will just appreciate the discussion.

Cheers

Ben

could you post a video of how you would do it correctly? then I will comment

lol @ bomber
    I'ts better to burn out than fade away!

Quote Originally Posted by bomberh View Post
    Not at full resistance. A spazzed out white belt would injure him. As amazing and inspirational as Helio was, I would not expect him to roll with 100% resistance at 90 (or even in his 60 & 70's)
    Helio would have smashed any spazzing out white belt (even in his 80's).

Quote Originally Posted by youngun View Post
    could you post a video of how you would do it correctly? then I will comment

lol @ bomber
    I have absolutely no intention of ever posting a technique video on youtube. You are, however, free to point out my multiple errors in the only video I know of that exists of me in competition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr5dmXdi8zc

(I'm in the blue gi)

Then unless your willing to take criticism dont criticise others thats just rude!

Fight videos are just that shit happens
    Last edited by youngun; 10-12-2010 at 01:09 PM.

LOL@ a blue belt trying to correct a purple belts technique the way you made out I thought you were a brown or black belt pmsl NEXT...
    I'm a purple belt and I didn't think RJD's tech demo was particularly accurate or impressive.

I'm not sure I would do much better,which is why I don't teach...

LOL@ a blue belt trying to correct a purple belts technique the way you made out I thought you were a brown or black belt pmsl NEXT...
    LOL at you categorising all blue belts as being inferior to all purple belts with regards teaching/instruction/understanding BJJ.

Someones ability to catalogue, understand and interpret information can be vastly different to the belt they wear around their waist.
    ''Fren let me tell you, purple must smash people. SMASH THEM...that is hequirement for purple. Purple belt dangerus man, if purple belt cannot smash he not real purple'' - CREONTE
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurning View Post
    I'm a purple belt and I didn't think RJD's tech demo was particularly accurate or impressive.

I'm not sure I would do much better,which is why I don't teach...
    that purple belt has got me a blue belt 2 silver medals and a win in the cage so im happy
    Last edited by youngun; 10-12-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Then unless your willing to take criticism dont criticise others thats just rude!

Fight videos are just that shit happens
    No, not really, because with that logic you'd do away with almost all critics everywhere on every subject. I didn't say anything personal, I just said that the video presented was pretty weak and sloppy. He might in fact be the previously mentioned omnipotent flower sweep master off camera, but he's not in that video, and I have every right to say so.

All the demonstritions on the site are for just that talked through demos to show beginners a quick insite of bjj it is not possible to teach a tech in a min or just over anyone can see that.

The point of this demonstration was to show the possibilities had the flower sweep gone wrong. and NOT the flower sweep itself.
    Nailed the going wrong part

could that be the point of the demo?, I never use the grip and if people try it I just base I think its shit I under hook the leg gi and nogi MUCH more effective IMO
    The leg grip makes a dramatic difference and if you underhook the leg is not a lot more obvious what you are going for as opposed to the subtlenes of the correct technique?

its a variation? nothing wrong with having more than one string to your bow.
    But whats the point in having a variation that isnt as efficient when theres a better option just by changing the technique slightly?

we have always been taught to control the leg as well as the arm when arm barring. this could be our style I don't know but I can tell you this rolling if you try and armbar me with out taking my leg I would escape.
    I'm quite sure you could still get arm barred if someone didnt control your leg

I have to disagree I think its a great technique I remember when Fernano taught us the string how everyone loved the sneaky armbar.
    Have you been able to perform the technique successfully in competition and not a luta livre comp?

again the demonstrations do not have time to go into specifics and details.
    I have VERY long arms and very very flexible shoulders Rich knows this and adjusted to compensate I can tell you this the technique was not loose.

EXACTLY!
    At purple belt level he shouldnt have to adjust