Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Albino Assassin View Post
    The leg grip makes a dramatic difference and if you underhook the leg is not a lot more obvious what you are going for as opposed to the subtlenes of the correct technique?
    Whilst the underhook on the leg is more obvious it is not the grip that does the technique. It is the legs and the hips. I can perform the technique successfully with no grip at all. Further, I've trained with 2 World Judo Champions who have used the underhook grip successfully at a world and Olympic level of Judo when sweeping or rolling an opponent into an armbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Albino Assassin View Post
    But whats the point in having a variation that isnt as efficient when theres a better option just by changing the technique slightly?
    This comment is surely trolling. A good competitior needs a mixed tool bag. Sometimes a weak method fits the purpose at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jackmcd View Post
    I have absolutely no intention of ever posting a technique video on youtube. You are, however, free to point out my multiple errors in the only video I know of that exists of me in competition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr5dmXdi8zc

(I'm in the blue gi)
    Hi

The following is an appraisal of your performance. Overall you do well at your level and win. I am purely providing this appraisal to help demonstrate that just because someone performs suboptimally, it does not mean that they are sh*t or that they are a fraud or not worth their grade.

Your stand up appears from this example to be below that of a Judo Yellow belt with 6 months training and is certainly far lower than that of the BJJ blue belts that I work with.

You came out with your back arched upwards and bent over at the hips. This enables your opponent to get a dominant over the top grip. It also means that you have to settle for a sh*tty leg/armpit grip. You also have a square on stance making it very easy to throw you with a variety of forward throws.

You should come out back straight, knees bent with your elbows close to your body. You should also avoid a square on stance and come out with either your left or right foot advanced.

As a right hander against another right hander, you should look to immediately secure a grip on your opponents sleeve and stop them grabbing your lapel or reaching over your back. This will destroy their ability to take you down. Only then do you look for a lapel or collar grip.

As a right hander against another right hander, you should look for a lapel grip feeding from your left to your right hand. Always take the inside grip unless you are mich stronger then your opponent. Again this can be used to destroy your opponents ability to take you down.

By fortune you manage to pull guard and your opponents own relative inexperience prevents them from a) totally squashing you and b) skipping straight past your legs and gaining total control on the floor.

On the floor the arm bar attempt is okay. However, your mount is no where near as strong as it could be. This enables your opponent to get back to half guard. On the mount you either want to hook your legs in by your opponents knees and use hip pressure to pin your them down. Or you want to take a high mount much closer to your opponents head.

Quote Originally Posted by youngun View Post
    we have always been taught to control the leg as well as the arm when arm barring. this could be our style I don't know but I can tell you this rolling if you try and armbar me with out taking my leg I would escape.
    is that a fact? lol i'd take that bet
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by bomberh View Post
    Whilst the underhook on the leg is more obvious it is not the grip that does the technique. It is the legs and the hips. I can perform the technique successfully with no grip at all. Further, I've trained with 2 World Judo Champions who have used the underhook grip successfully at a world and Olympic level of Judo when sweeping or rolling an opponent into an armbar.
    I find the grip does help in my experience and i try to grip as far down the gi pant leg as possible. As i said before the subtlety does come into it.

Quote Originally Posted by bomberh View Post
    This comment is surely trolling. A good competitior needs a mixed tool bag. Sometimes a weak method fits the purpose at the time.
    It's not trolling its just the fact I dont think anyone would expect a purple belt to teach a lower percentage move when there is a higher percentage success and lower risk option.

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    is that a fact? lol i'd take that bet
    How about a MMA Tag Team match? RJD v Steve Langford, and YoungGun v David5...? Promoters make it happen.....

ZST styleeee

Under-hooking the leg is equally valid and I've been taught both methods by black belts.

underhooking the leg and bringing yourself under them is a different sweep though. very different mechanics. i taught both last week

What I look for in a blue belt is Lagarto to say they are a blue belt and that's the same with all the other belts. My job is really easy, I just have to train hard. And when and if I'm good enough to move up a belt he will give it me and if I'm not good enough I won't get it but still train because I ENJOY IT.

Hey jogs why dont you get your lazy fat ass back in the gym and fight someone?. insted of trolling ENNIT!

flower sweeps flower sweep underhooking the leg or grabbing the gi pants
    I'ts better to burn out than fade away!