Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: What makes a belt?

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    So the highest grade will always be the world champion in that weight category!!! And as you get older, ill and less reactive then you are reduced grades or does everyone automatically jump grades over you?
    this cannot surely be so hard for some to understand.

your instructor gives you a promotion based on your abilities at that particular period of time.
    when you become too old and frail, or very ill and can longer keep up with younger, fitter, stronger, faster individuals, he does not then demote you as punishment - there is no need as the belt was given as recognition of your abilities at a particular time.
    also your abilities would be judged in relevant context - e.g. a 21 year old sparring with a 28 year old, age probably isn't much of a factor so doesn't need taken into account so much.
    a 21 year old sparring with a 101 year old, age becomes a factor and therefore would be taken into account.

it's very simple to me and i think to most people tbh
    bjj is a fighting system.
    belts are given based on your ability to use the system well.
    nothing to do with how many orphans you've adopted, or whales you've saved, or addictions you've beaten - i think some people are confusing bjj coaches with esther rantzen...
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
    Attachment 6995 Need More Popcorn
    I'm running out off popcorn now just waiting for the main event
    The return of rjd it's better then going to the cinemas and best off all it's free.
    "If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic

This thread is starting to go all Frankie Boyle and JordanHarvey-esque now with the whole RJD son discussion.

This thread is shit imo.

wish I hadn't asked for the video now

OMG!! There is a minor here who has been allowed onto an adult themed site without parental permission! I will email his parent/guardian immeadiately including uses of any coarse language he may have utilised!
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    this cannot surely be so hard for some to understand.

your instructor gives you a promotion based on your abilities at that particular period of time.
    when you become too old and frail, or very ill and can longer keep up with younger, fitter, stronger, faster individuals, he does not then demote you as punishment - there is no need as the belt was given as recognition of your abilities at a particular time.
    also your abilities would be judged in relevant context - e.g. a 21 year old sparring with a 28 year old, age probably isn't much of a factor so doesn't need taken into account so much.
    a 21 year old sparring with a 101 year old, age becomes a factor and therefore would be taken into account.

it's very simple to me and i think to most people tbh
    bjj is a fighting system.
    belts are given based on your ability to use the system well.
    nothing to do with how many orphans you've adopted, or whales you've saved, or addictions you've beaten - i think some people are confusing bjj coaches with esther rantzen...
    Think you have missed the point. The fact is there are so many factors to take into consideration that this whole discussion about what constitutes a certain grade is pointless. Leave it to those with experience, in my case Lagarto. I don't analyse his judgement or question his reasons, if he grades someone they are that belt. End of. So leave this whole grading thing to those in the know and I for one am not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Think you have missed the point. The fact is there are so many factors to take into consideration that this whole discussion about what constitutes a certain grade is pointless. Leave it to those with experience, in my case Lagarto. I don't analyse his judgement or question his reasons, if he grades someone they are that belt. End of. So leave this whole grading thing to those in the know and I for one am not one of them.
    No. Bringing "life events" into it is pointless. If it doesnt happen on the mat then its of no relevance.

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

boxingbrit

Stapes, if i tapped out Rickson in a street fight would that count?

Quote Originally Posted by boxingbrit View Post
    Stapes, if i tapped out Rickson in a street fight would that count?
    Gracies dont tap and Rickson by armbar
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar