Lol, no it ain't me in the vid

F

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    lol : that spider guard!! hahahaha
    Advanced spider guard?

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    Lol, no it ain't me in the vid

F
    Are you sure cause you look very similar in weight, obviously not in level though

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Are you sure cause you look very similar in weight, obviously not in level though
    Keep it quiet mate

F

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    The difference is that is a blackbelt teaching the move rather than a purple. Sure the teaching from a Purple isn't gonna be as good as that off a black but some of us don't have daily access to a black belt.
    No, I would expect a purple to teach the same move, but without some of the finesse in movement, and perhaps less detail in the description. What that video shows is just poor full stop.

James

did RJD say he 16 stones? Cos I'm 16 and my gut aint as big as his. Not Knocking him but looking at the vid he don't look like he 16stones
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

Back to the original question regarding the video.

A belt is a form of regonition from an insructor/coach to their student. It is not for me to question who should get awarded what.

Eg. A woman recieves a Blue Belt after twelve months of training despite not really being at that level yet. Should people question the coaches judgement and kick up a stink slagging her off in class or on forums?....

Knowing that she had been raped and came to confront her fears, try to develop some self defense skills, consistantly roll with larger men all the time whilst recovering psychologically from this trauma certainly changes your perspective of this belt being awarded. She sure as hell earnt it in my eyes and I completely agree with her coach awarding it to her.

A belt doesn't necessarily mark a skill level. Many people get into BJJ or Martial Arts for many different reasons. Yes there are alot of performance based/competition based clubs arounds and this is what they use as their yard stick. That's fine. That is the relationship between that instructor and that student and you generally go to a competition team/club because you want to compete, so the student knows what they are in for. But like I said, I can't judge why any person gets awarded their belt. I don't know their goals or what they have had to over come to get there, and I don't know what their coaches 'yard stick' is. Every coach has their own criteria.

BJJ can be for everyone.
    crazymonkeyiom.com

i think belts have to be awarded according to actual ability to execute techniques under pressure - this to me is a fundamental difference between bjj and other martial arts and one of the reasons it is so effective in comparison...

bjj can be for everyone, but blue belts should only be for blue belts...
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Fishface seems a decent guy, sure I have seen him somewhere before.
    Stapes does not sit on the fence and speaks the truth in his unique way.
    Rob T competes and is a reputable BJJ guy.

With their opinions being highly regarded i can conclude the following:-
    RJD seems to be somewhat of a clown. Hes actually having a go at people who get on the mat and in the cage to compete when he does not himself.
    Sit on fence = splinters up arse

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    not being funny, but those are horrible technique vids, with a LOT of mistakes. hopefully were recorded well before he got his purple belt
    Please could you provide a critique on the first three video's and explain objectively what the multitude of mistakes are?

Here are the links again:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dtecmma#p/a/u/0/TbVeNqSvC2I

http://www.youtube.com/user/dtecmma#p/a/u/1/CCp1yT_RE0Q

http://www.youtube.com/user/dtecmma#p/a/u/2/LotXg4Z2u5w

I can see what I would regard as a few minor improvements that can be made. However, I can't see a multitude of mistakes that would render the techniques ineffective. Please help, I would be genuinely interested.
    Last edited by bomberh; 09-12-2010 at 06:48 PM.