Thread: Stretching?

Default Stretching?

Does your lesson incorporate any stretching into it, maybe a stretch off at the end? My flexability is getting better through rolling regular but our lesson is only an hour long so we don't do any is this the norm? Or would you consider it a vital part of your training?

I personally do not include stretching (to improve range of motion at a joint) in any of my lessons.

It is a vital part of your training, but I personally do not use BJJ mat time for it. If any of my students ask about improving their flexibility I will guide them to a yoga class or to a speific class to that works on flwxibility.

I also do not use BJJ mat time getting them to do 100's of press-ups, sit-ups etc. This should be done in their own time.

I stretch regularly but like Dave Coles i don't think it should eat into BJJ time so i usually run an optional 15 minute stretch after class.
    We also run 2 yoga classes per week at Carlson's and encourage students to attend (they are included in the training package).

Simon

Can I ask what type of yoga you guys direct people towards?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    I stretch regularly but like Dave Coles i don't think it should eat into BJJ time so i usually run an optional 15 minute stretch after class.
    We also run 2 yoga classes per week at Carlson's and encourage students to attend (they are included in the training package).

Simon
    I think that the yoga is a brilliant addition to any programme. In JiuJitsu it is important that a guy is flexible and has control of his body. Excellent work.

I stretch during classes, sometimes before.

Stretching is important.... I came from MT so I was pretty flexible to begin with... but my hips have tightened up over the years of BJJ and I am now in the process of working hard on my flexibility and it is going well.

I do this out of class as the routine takes 30 minuites and sometimes I try to do it twice a day.... 1 month in I am seeing the results slowly.... The key is to never miss a day!!!!!

My routine is a combination of an old MT one from back in the day and Yoga basics.