Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Solo drills

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Solo drills

    Just a bit curious as to what or if others do by way of solo drills. I work away a lot and it's rare to be working with someone who does any form of martial art so often drill things on my own.
    The common one is transitioning through different mounts on a ball or bag.
    Also I often get funny looks as I lie on my back, eyes closed imagining someone in my guard as I work through various techniques. It's not wonderfully effective but if nothing else it keeps techniques in my head and reinforces some muscle memory.

    Just wondered what others do when they have no one to train with or a spare 5 minutes

  2. #2

    Angry could get

    could get primal to us, the velocity staleness be expedited." "Realize The next day, Sat, Bo Jiang Sen conventional the sound, speech the oldAsiatic went to the medicine .

  3. #3

    Default

    I see, thanks, if only all replies were as clear and concise as that...

  4. #4
    **NSFW**
    Paul Jenkins
    Pro Fighter
    Hands Of Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standupstar View Post
    Just wondered what others do when they have no one to train with or a spare 5 minutes



    The Hands
    "Try masturbating during a thunderstorm. Seriously. It makes you feel like Thor."

    Here Come Da Pain......

    www.dogsofwar.info

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standupstar View Post
    Just a bit curious as to what or if others do by way of solo drills. I work away a lot and it's rare to be working with someone who does any form of martial art so often drill things on my own.
    The common one is transitioning through different mounts on a ball or bag.
    Also I often get funny looks as I lie on my back, eyes closed imagining someone in my guard as I work through various techniques. It's not wonderfully effective but if nothing else it keeps techniques in my head and reinforces some muscle memory.

    Just wondered what others do when they have no one to train with or a spare 5 minutes
    Hi
    I brought andre galvoa drill to win which has a hell of a lot of solo stuff from hip escapes, bridges in all directions, acrobatic stuff like walking on hands and stuff for your balance like swiss balls and balance boards.

    I normally stay for 30 minutes after the class and do one topic for example today after class i will do technical stand ups on my weak side, then shrimp to technical stand up, then wrestler sit outs etc

    I am a believer that you need agility and movement to move your self before you can move anyone eles. Boxers shadow box etc before they spar so doing solo stuff is crucial imo

    With regards to closing your eyes and visualising. That is a good tool heres a good link for that sort of stuff
    http://www.sportspsychology2.com/spo...-visualisation

    I use visualisation to break down techniques and ask why does this work etc i just watched a film called inception and i think they something like 'when the brain really understand a concept, you don't forget it'. The more you practise the visual stuff the better you become.

    Goodluck mate
    .....

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akiraB View Post
    Hi
    I brought andre galvoa drill to win which has a hell of a lot of solo stuff from hip escapes, bridges in all directions, acrobatic stuff like walking on hands and stuff for your balance like swiss balls and balance boards.
    Got this book myself and for drills it's awesome. Some hidden jems in his description of techniques as well. For solo drilling it's the best guide I have seen so far. Saulo's book has some solo drills in it as well.

    But are you looking to drill or shadow roll? Shadow rolling is cool and visualisation is the key here.

    thanks for sharing Akira.
    crazymonkeyiom.com

  7. #7

    Default

    There are some videos on Eddie Bravo's Mastering the Rubber Guard DVDs of one of his guys doing katas!
    (The guy's name for solo practice drills where he runs through sets of standard 10th Planet stuff - half guard to rubber guard to crack-head control etc)
    Quite interesting.

    Jon
    Specialist treatment of sporting injuries
    http://www.notts-tuina.co.uk

  8. #8
    Senior Member Luke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gophin' on the golf course
    Posts
    11,258

    Default

    ...lol at ignoring the obvious!

    I guess you can drill positioning on a grounded bag but TBH if you're working away can't you call in to a local MMA/BJJ club? That's what I'd probably do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.