Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: royce tribute

never fails to get the adreniline flowing and the heart pumping

People who criticise Royce's BJJ like Marc Laimon are deluded. If you watch the first UFCs, some of the techniques he pulls out of the bag are amazing. People forget that most of the fights he was in he was dumping people with 20/30kgs on him on their backs and smothering them from the top, not an easy task to do! And yet somehow people have this idea about BJJ being all guard pulling and butt scooting! Didn't he even take down Remco Pardel in their match, an excellent Judoka who had a lot of weight on him. People seem to forget he wasn't just beating these people he was steamrollering them.

I forget what match it was(some other guy in a gi) but he hit this fucking awesome double leg with a grape vine that would've had most wrestlers standing in appreciation.

The double leg was against Minoki Ichihara and is at around 7:15 of that video, go take a look.

thanks for that. i remeber getting ufc 1 from the video shop in 99? and watching it, then desperately trying to find somewhere to train for the next 2 yrs!

i've not watched any of those fights for years, he keeps a few of the subs on for a while after the tap though! he's a badass!!!
    Last edited by Fast but dim; 13-12-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Royce is a legend

I was off work work ill a few months ago and spent a whole day watching old Gracie fights, best sick day ever!

his fight with Art Jimmerson on UFC1 is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen! lol
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

for me these shows showed true BJJ with strikes and importance of take down and dominant position. No pulling half guard as you would have got elbowed and head butted into next week. This showed The true effectivness of jiu jitsu in real combat.
    Unfortunatly as the years have gone by some BJJ has become purely sport orientated with no onus on self defense in a violent situation.
    Royce is the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2wQhRRNqSU&feature=fvw

here is another highlight
    his fight with kimo is one of my all time favorites

rumour is royce is going to fight on the Rio UFC card!!!
    MMA (9-2 8 subs) Sponsored Athlete under Tatami Fight Wear, G&S welterweight champion

where u hear this jamie?

MMA (9-2 8 subs) Sponsored Athlete under Tatami Fight Wear, G&S welterweight champion