Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muay thai gyms and footwork drills

Default Muay thai gyms and footwork drills

Has any one any experience of Muay thai gyms in London that incorporate footwork drills in their classes. Most of the places I've goine to don't seem to do this and I can be pretty static when I spar.

Can't you do footwork drills in your own time?

Quote Originally Posted by Standupstar View Post
    Can't you do footwork drills in your own time?
    you should be doing basic footwork in everything you do...sparring, padwork, technique.
    footwork in thai boxing is not complicated, its just small movements but its one of the first things you should have started learning.
    Marianne.

Team Phoenix

I have to agree with maz

footwork is crutial with any combat sport! If you cant move, your gonna get knocked out very quickly!

you should be working on your footwork every time your in gym, on the bags, on pads, and in sparring

speak to your pad man, after every combo, move

jab, jab cross, step left

jab, cross, hook, step right

jab, right kick, jab, step back

(note it doesnt have to be these combo's, bt after ever single combo, you should be moving!)
    Last edited by Romeoblood; 13-12-2010 at 10:38 AM.
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by FABRIZIO View Post
    Has any one any experience of Muay thai gyms in London that incorporate footwork drills in their classes. Most of the places I've goine to don't seem to do this and I can be pretty static when I spar.
    where do you train? in london you have some amazing muay thai gyms such as KO, Diesel, and Minotaurs.
    Start Wrestling

cheers for the advice. I know about the basics of moving forwards backwards and side to side.
    I know in boxing they do drills on boxes and floor ladders to improve speed and movement and I thought this may be helpful to me as well.

It wouldnt be unhelpful, but footwork isnt as complicated in MT compared to boxing, so IMO it wouldnt be needed, focus on technique, power and speed, and you'll b fine

Quote Originally Posted by Romeoblood View Post
    footwork isnt as complicated in MT compared to boxing, so IMO it wouldnt be needed, focus on technique, power and speed, and you'll b fine
    Just because it might not seem complicated doesn't mean it isn't essential, good footwork can hide and setup an attack, get you out of trouble, set up quick kicks and so on, no individual technique is difficult, the key is tying them all together and without good footwork you'll often find it difficult to get out of trouble.
    I'd say don't obsess over footwork drills but a bit of speed work tossed in with a few other drills can only help

Actually most of the best thai boxers have unbelievable footwork, saying you dont need to work on it is ridiculous. The footwork is different from boxing, in some ways more sutle, but just as sophisticaed and important.

technique power and speed is pointless if you dont have footwork to position you to use it or to use in defense.

i start most sessions with footwork drills, with new students a large amount of there intial training is footwork based, once the footwork fundementals are down the striking bit is alot easier

to refer back to my previosu post, footwork is important, but things like ladders, boxes etc dont have as much use in thai

in the gym I train in, we tend to intergrate footwork in with pad work, with emphasis on the movement as opposed to the strike

different coaches have different methods, its not to say that my coach is right and James is wrong for using drills, or james is right and my coach is wrong for intergrating footwork into pad work, they just have differing methods

if your concerned about your footwork, speak to your coach, you may even be working footwork without even knowing it
    Last edited by Romeoblood; 14-12-2010 at 09:55 AM.