Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Eddie Bravo promote drug use...

Hybrid View

Default Does Eddie Bravo promote drug use...

.....and if so, does it reflect badly on BJJ?

Draculino in particular has been very disapproving about Bravos' open cannabis use. Are top BJJers role models who should be careful about how they conduct themselves, especially bearing in mind the large amount of kids taking up bjj? Or should they only concern themselves with what happens on the mat?

It doesn't reflect badly on BJJ because, really, as he's no gi it isn't really BJJ.

...and Eddie Bravo promotes it, of course. I have a couple of his books and he's always going on about weed and how it's steroids for the brain and the more you take the better, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    It doesn't reflect badly on BJJ because, really, as he's no gi it isn't really BJJ.
    Perhaps, but that's an entirely different thread.

When I was filming Rough Guide at Eddie's a few years ago, he said he wouldn't give someone a black belt, unless they got stoned with him.
    Reason was it shows you have an open mind. In his eyes, if you didn't have an open mind, you wouldn't be able to get a black belt in 10th planet Jiu Jitsu.

His pupils were rather large when he told me that though... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Daihlo View Post
    When I was filming Rough Guide at Eddie's a few years ago, he said he wouldn't give someone a black belt, unless they got stoned with him.
    Reason was it shows you have an open mind. In his eyes, if you didn't have an open mind, you wouldn't be able to get a black belt in 10th planet Jiu Jitsu.

I hope that's BS and he will award belts to people who don't smoke too. That is one of the more stupid things I've heard.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    I hope that's BS and he will award belts to people who don't smoke too. That is one of the more stupid things I've heard.
    I think he might've been joking. He likes to pull pranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daihlo View Post

I get epileptic seizures if I smoke weed. Damn, that means I will never get my Black Belt from Eddie Bravo. Well it's been a nice life but not worth living any more, tell my mum I'm sorry...

Last edited by andrew123; 24-02-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Last edited by andrew123; 24-02-2013 at 11:07 PM.

He must have been joking

if he's not then as andrew says he's as closed minded as the people who are so against weed

personally its not for me, but a lot of my mates smoke weed, its a choice though, if you want to then fine, if you dont then also fine

to answer the original question, I dont think eddie promotes drug use, I think he enjoys it, a lot, and thats why he talk about it in his books etc

people should be intelligent enough to make their own choices, and shouldnt be influenced by the fact that someone else does it

I cant imagine someone getting into BJJ then thinking "Eddie Bravo smokes weed, so I should too"
    Last edited by Romeoblood; 14-12-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge