Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile upgrade/contract ending

Quote Originally Posted by kainer2 View Post
    I have issues like this too

As i was looking at the Nokia N8 and HTC Desire as i'm out of contract but would want lots of minutes. Either them or an I Phone would be cool. But i'm clueless about what network is best

I wouldnt wanna do orange as my BB is with them
    If you know a lot on Orange the magic numbers are really handy

What did u end up getting? I'm looking at the Desire HD and Nexus S but can't make my mind up.

Got a HTC Desire - does everything a Iphone does and more to be honest, not a fan of I products - shiny but limited to Apple's own evul empire. A quick websearch will find you every app for Android os's for nowt and the HTC is fairly easy to customise as well, cracking phone and for the price difference between it and a Iphone I can't see any reason not to go HTC. On Three myself - they are offering a new tariff I think I heard recently around 25 for something like 2000 mins 2000 texts and unlimited browsing - wife got an upgrade on her account and hers is now similar but 3gb data allowance - still handy as can tether the phone to laptop and use as portable wifi.

Ross

Good timing this thread coming up, have an upgrade due Jan 13th, am on Orange and have had a Black Berry Bold 8520 or something. Has been ok but don't want another BB. Would want an iphone4 or maybe something similar. Especially after hearing you can't get them for free.

Evzy - does that work on a laptop, tried to do it with my BB and couldn't figure it out, is it like phone speed browsing or laptop speed once plugged in?

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Got a HTC Desire
    Gonna go with the Nexus S which is an Android just like the Desire but supposed to be a bit snappier and have a better screen, comes with 15gb of space as well.

Portable wifi? You mean you use it as a mobile broadband modem?

Haven't done it as yet as not had need and wife upgraded a couple of weeks ago but I believe its basically whatever the connection speed of the phone is e.g 3g so not as good as standard wifi but in a non wifi area it would come in handy. Looks easy enough to set up as well but having not done it maybe there is a hidden Saw like trap needing completion before you get it connected. On the HTC Desire it as part of the 2.2 o/s update - I think by now most providers have updated to 2.2 but if thats something that you would want, be worth checking first (although you can hack and force update them anyway should you so desire)

Quote Originally Posted by Evzy View Post
    Haven't done it as yet as not had need and wife upgraded a couple of weeks ago but I believe its basically whatever the connection speed of the phone is e.g 3g so not as good as standard wifi but in a non wifi area it would come in handy. Looks easy enough to set up as well but having not done it maybe there is a hidden Saw like trap needing completion before you get it connected. On the HTC Desire it as part of the 2.2 o/s update - I think by now most providers have updated to 2.2 but if thats something that you would want, be worth checking first (although you can hack and force update them anyway should you so desire)
    Aw right, yeah I heard about that. You use the phone as a wifi access point/hotspot. It's part of Android Froyo and later releases, it's not a function that is exclusive to HTC

http://www.google.com/nexus/
    It's 30 quid on most networks but only cphone warehouse sells it. I'm hoping it'll come down another 5 this month.

Phone reviews

Seem much of a muchness, HTC has best camera and internal memory but other than that, its what you want out of the phone. Battery life on my Desire is a lot longer when I turn off internet and gps and use just as a phone when I don't need to be connected to the web.

I'm gonna upgrade my phone this weekend and am torn between the original Desire and the Galaxy S.

Was originally gonna go for the Desire HD but I've heard a lot of horror stories about the battery life - anyone here got any experiences with it?

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purist View Post
    I'm gonna upgrade my phone this weekend and am torn between the original Desire and the Galaxy S.

Was originally gonna go for the Desire HD but I've heard a lot of horror stories about the battery life - anyone here got any experiences with it?
    Careful on the Galaxy S, our lass got one and the screen smashed while it was just on the chair arm next to her, no impact, no dropping nothing, just kinda imploded on itself. This was the second one in two weeks, first one software dies on it at random.

I have a Motorola Defy, so far it is mint
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA